This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

“Imitation is the biggest form of flattery” – is there any element of truth in this?

I know it is perhaps childish and primary school to claim things as ‘yours’ and ban your friends from buying the same thing but isn’t there something about this in girl code? While you are always going to have someone in the world that has the same thing as you, isn’t it polite for a friend to simply ask you if it’s okay to buy the same thing as you? I would always allow my friends to buy the same things as me but there is something about it that does bug me, particularly if there has been no recognition of what a style icon you are – after all, credit is due where credit is due.

There is perhaps a bad stigma with being a ‘Copy Cat’ but technically, we all do it some form whether it’s secretly creeping on someone’s Instagram because you know they have nice clothes or from celebrities. How can I get annoyed at my friends for buying something that I have when my guilty pleasure is ‘Steal Her Style.’

Celebrities can’t wear anything without thousands of people rushing out (if they have the money) to look like their ‘style icon.’ So when our friends do it, maybe we should be taking it as a compliment – after all, we can’t expect to claim the whole of Topshop. However, there is nothing more embarrassing turning up somewhere in the same outfit as your BFF. There’s only so much of #Twinnies which will sound cool.

Let’s face it; we’re probably all a little bit a copy cat, maybe without even meaning to. When my friends pick up my phrases like ‘oh piffle’, it makes me feel quite happy that that is something I’m known for and my friends have picked it up because we’re all so close. Of course, there is a difference between accidental copying and deliberate copying so if my friends do want something that I have, as childish and immature as it may be, it would be nice to get my permission first or even after you’ve bought it. Just as long as there is recognition for the complete fashion queen that I might one day be!

Having said all of this, I’ve had very few instances of copy cat fever and so maybe I am not the style icon that I so clearly see myself as.

And a few words of wisdoms for those who may have the urge to copy: “Good artists copy, great artists steal” so if you’re going to do it, do it and make it look 10 times better.

Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.