This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Petra Vander Horst, a second year Hispanics and Sociology student, originally from Finland, met up with me for a quick stroll through Victoria Park in Aberdeen. I spotted her in this killer outfit and I just couldn’t help myself asking where she gets her inspiration from? She she wittily replied saying that the weather is her inspiration. When it is cold, which is generally the case is in Aberdeen, it is time to be both practical and fashionable – not an easy feat. Whereas, in the spring there is more opportunity to experiment with your wardrobe. Regardless of her working till 2am and having to get up early she still looks sensational. 

Miss Vander Horst channels her inner Betty Rizzo in this spring’s seasons most magical designs. Her black jumpsuit is from H&M, which is both comfy and stylish. Her 8o’s styled denim is a men’s Levis jacket from a vintage market in London. This statement jacket adds attitude and a splash of colour which we love to see in spring. I especially love the white dolly socks with the black leather shoes from Schuh. High contrasts of colour co-ordinate with her black and white poker dot handbag. Her top from New look adds a point of difference and a personal touch to this gorgeous look. It brings about an age-old tradition to this outfit giving it character and a vintage vibe. To match this she has used a head scarf given to her from her grandmother for a final, statement head piece.

When Petra finds free time in her busy schedule she goes on a shopping spree – who doesn’t?! She admits it is hard to find decent buys in Aberdeen, as it isn’t a city like London or Glasgow which have the best shopping variety in the UK. However, she says her favourite places to shop are TK Maxx, Topshop, New Look, Miss Selfridge and once in a while she does like to check out the charity shops.

In my opinion style comes naturally to this girl and last year this young lady took part in Aberdeen Universities Fashion society. She and many other people are disappointed it was not running this year but hopefully it can be restarted in the years to come. When asked what she liked about the society she said “it was a group full of nice people that shared similar interests in fashion but didn’t take themselves too seriously. The society delivered opportunities that I could participate in that I previously wouldn’t have been able to. For example, last year I had the chance to travel down to London to attend fashion week”. Finally, she adds “BRING THE FASHION SOCIETY BACK”. 

Currently a 2nd year student studying English Literature at the University of Aberdeen.