Campus Cutie: Mr David Wesner!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

While scrambling to discover who the next campus cutie could be, I realised I had missed an obvious choice, and one that won’t be at Aberdeen much longer: David Wesner. The comical third year student is nearly at the end of his year abroad here in Aberdeen and will soon be returning home to the University of Calgary. It only seemed fitting that I sat down with David before he left and you all missed hearing about this sweetheart.

The first natural question to ask anyone studying at Aberdeen is, of course, why Aberdeen? David’s degree in petroleum engineering made Aberdeen the clear choice. I asked David what he liked about Aberdeen and he said, “There is not much I like about Aberdeen, but I guess the beach.” He then proceeded to describe the parts he liked about the beach to me, “the sand and the ocean.”

In his year abroad, David has taken the chance to explore as he has a fondness for, in his own words, “adventure and climbing and danger”! Given the choice of what to do with a free weekend, David says he’d “go hiking in the mountains with just a backpack and camping gear.” Luckily for David, Aberdeen has given him numerous opportunities for such adventures. On his free weekends in Aberdeen David is usually on some kind of adventure. It’s on these adventures that David is able to show his true leadership style: caring mixed with a bit of self-deprecating humour – I can personally vouch for both as a frequent travel companion of his! I asked David which of the many places he has visited would be suitable for him as a second home: “Greece, though that may be a bit biased.” Perhaps he is a bit biased as this interview is happening on the patio in the sun in Athens. Casual…

Naturally traveling so many different places can make a person miss home a bit, for David the thing he misses most, besides his family, is “Tim Hortons, no doubt and no competitors…except maybe hockey.” I’ll give you three chances to guess where David is from, and the first two don’t count… While he is often the butt of Canadian jokes, David is a clear example of why Canadians are known all around the world for being nice. David is almost always smiling and willing to start up a conversation.

To finish up our interview I decided to ask David a few easy quickfire questions… 

HC: What’s one of your favourite things to do?

DW: “Playing cards because it is an easy time-filler.”

HC: Favorite song?

DW: “Fishing in the Dark by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band”

HC: If you were a fruit, what fruit would you be?

DW: “Pineapple because they are rough on the outside and sweet on the inside…and they taste delicious.”

HC: What is your biggest pet peeve?

DW: “People who follow rules blindly. It’s important to be inquisitive and know how things work and why.”

HC: What’s words do you live by?

“Be the person your dog thinks you are. I am a dog person – make sure to get that in – oh, and ‘cats are like communism, good in theory, but bad in reality.’”

Seems like pretty good advice to us girls here at Her Campus! Thanks for chatting with us David! XO

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.