2014 – A New Era For Female Politicians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

2014 – A New Era For Female Politicians 

2014 seems to be the year of feminism – from Emma Watson’s Speech at the UN to Taylor Swift declaring that she is a feminist. This feminist fever seems to have spread to our wonderful government with Nicola Sturgeon having an equal gender cabinet.

Alex Salmond stepping down after the rejection of independence left only one woman for the job, the feisty Nicola Sturgeon, being the first ever female first minister and after putting equality at the head of her campaign, she has delivered with an equal number of female to male ministers.

The announcement came mid November stating her cabinet was: “A clear demonstration that this government will work hard in all areas to promote woman, to create gender equality and it sends out a strong message that the business of redressing the gender balance in public life starts right here in government.” Under Salmond’s Cabinet, woman made up 40% of the Cabinet but only oversaw 12% of the Scottish budget and on average, male Cabinet secretaries have six times the budget than of their female colleagues. While having 4/10 ministers as female was a step in the right direction when Salmond was in power, the steps that Nicole Sturgeon has taken is one of huge significance within politics with 5 out of the 9 ministers being female (56%).

Politics has always been an area where female involvement has been scrutinised and in some way, criticised. The UK was ranked 26th in the Global Gender Gap report, down from 18th place. While the Scottish Government is making gender equality friendly changes, the UK Parliament is lacking with only 5 women being ministers compared to 16 men. Not only has Sturgeon introduced a gender equal cabinet, she has put 3 woman at senior positions, removing 3 men. While this is hugely significant, it is perhaps slightly ironic that this change has to happen by a woman.  Feminism has been bashed and bruised and as Emma Watson said seen as ‘man-hating’, making many men believe that they are not a feminist. Earlier this year, David Cameron, our very own Prime Minister was criticised after supposedly point blank refusing to wear a t-shirt with the slogan ‘This is what a feminist looks like’ despite Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband agreeing without hesitation. How can this country evolve if our own Prime Minister has a problem with feminism, or perhaps even, with just the word?

There continues to be inequality in pay and on average, low-paid woman are paid 10% less than men and in high-paid jobs, woman earned 20% less. Not only is this discrimination, but also illegal. The Equal Pay Act 1970 prohibits paying men than woman more despite having the same job. This is not being honoured and as Emma Watson stated in her speech she expects to be paid the same as her male counterparts. This is perhaps the height of most gender equality issues – how are we still being paid less?

Having said all of that, this is a significant step in the right direction and more women should be encouraged from this. We are asking to be heard and people are providing. Previously seen as a career only for men, the Scottish Cabinet is now more than half woman, which should only be seen as a positive aspect. Not only that, Scotland now has their first ever Female First Minister showing that politics is only adapting more to woman being involved and I, for one, am proud to have a woman representing my country. 

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.