This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

I started my very first skincare routine at a very young age, which involved just one product – moisturiser. I have moisturised every morning and every night since then, as to me, this is the least you can do for your skin. Since I was diagnosed with Lupus, which causes uncontrollable flare-ups from the inside, I fully invested in a proper skincare routine to leave my skin as healthy as it can be. I’ve tried several products over the years, whilst looking into what is good or damaging to the skin. In no particular order, these are some skincare products or ingredients to look out for when extending your skincare routine! 

#1 Sunscreen 

I have put sunscreen on every morning religiously ever since I was diagnosed with Lupus. I am extremely sun-sensitive, so even in a place like Aberdeen which offers hardly any sun, the first thing I put on my face after moisturiser is sunscreen. Damaging UV rays can be harmful to anyone, not just sun-sensitive individuals like me. Putting on sunscreen will protect us from the sun’s rays, providing several benefits, including healthier skin through prevention of signs of ageing and inflammation. I have tried many sunscreens, but a particularly good one is Caudalie’s Anti-Wrinkle Face Suncare, and I am currently using one from Sun Cut! 

#2 Collagen (products) 

Collagen in itself is an essential protein in the human body. It is a particularly crucial component of the skin as it strengthens whilst also benefiting elasticity and hydration. As we age, the body starts to produce less collagen, hence why our skin gets drier and we develop wrinkles. Collagen, therefore, improves skin elasticity, helping hold moisture together and slowing down skin ageing through the reduction of wrinkles and dryness. As a loyal fan of Etude House products, I am using the Moistfull Collagen Essence every morning and night. 

#3 Argan Oil 

Whilst I also use argan oil as part of my hair-care routine (which could be an entire article in itself), argan oil is also amazing for the skin. Since I have normal skin, I only use argan oil once a week, since I also use other products. Originating from argan tree seeds, argan oil boosts skin moisture, reduces wrinkles, and can help brighten the skin. I currently use the ‘Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil’ from Ordinary. I’ve always found argan oil to be one of the more easily sourced skincare products, where I have used many that do the exact same thing just through TK Maxx. 

#4 Snail Mucin 

Snail mucin is the excretion from a snail, where they use it to protect themselves. It is something growing in popularity through its rise in Korean culture and its noticeable results in their beauty world. Korean beauty products have been something I’ve been brought up with way before it became popular, where snail mucin in particular has been part of the hype. It is a skin moisturiser, where it also produces collagen and helps the healing and regeneration of the skin. I use the Iunik ‘Black Snail Restore Serum’ every morning and night, which helps strengthen my skin, resulting in it looking healthier and younger-looking.  

#5 Eye cream 

Eye cream, as the name suggests, focuses on the eyes, or rather, under the eyes. I have been using Kiehl’s ‘Creamy Eye Treatment’ for years and I live for this product as it consists of many ingredients you should look for when searching for the perfect eye cream. Honourable mentions on this list are avocado oil (meaning it smells amazing) and shea butter which, when combined, provides natural moisturising ingredients, provides hydration and skin restoration, whilst also offering different proteins and vitamins benefitting the skin. I normally do this step last because of the way I apply eye cream. I normally put two small amounts under each eye and using one finger, move from the part closest to my nose and almost ‘sweep’ outwards and repeat this motion a few times until I can’t see the cream anymore. 

#6 Moisturiser 

I’ve tried many different moisturisers over the years, from Clinique’s ‘Dramatically Different Moisturing Lotion+, Sisley’s Moistursier with Cucumber to Benefit’s ‘Total Moisture Facial Cream. I have nothing bad to say about any of these products, but I have moved on to using Lagom’s Cellus Deep Moisture Cream which I have stayed loyal to ever since discovering it a few years ago. When looking for a face cream, be cautious of your skin type as there will be different face creams that will benefit your skin type more.  

#7 Cleanser 

Cleansing is an important part of any skincare routine as it helps remove impurities and leave the skin healthier than before. It maintains clearer skin, enhances hydration and creates younger-looking skin. Given as a gift, I like to use the Clinique ‘Liquid Facial Soap’ cleanser. On days when I am wearing make-up (even the most minimal),  double-cleansing can be particularly crucial in ensuring nothing is left behind after the first round. 

#8  Toner 

With the use of my reusable cotton pads (something definitely worth investing in!), toner helps remove traces of dirt, grime and impurities in your pores after washing the face. It helps tighten the skin, moisturise, and also helps remove any oil and makeup (if any) left when washing your face. I have yet to find a toner I like enough to be loyal to, but the one I am currently using is Caudalie’s Vinoclean Moisturising Toner

#9 Exfoliator  

Our skin cells naturally regenerate, which is why it is exceptionally important to remove dead skin cells. I do this only once a week using Clinique’s ‘Clarifying Lotion 2’ as over-exfoliating can lead to drier and more irritated skin. When using it, you should use it as one of the first things to apply as it helps unclog the skin which allows for the rest of the products to soak in more. It also helps prevent wrinkles, acne and blemishes. 

#10 After Sun 

After Sun helps repair the skin, especially after UV ray contact. It helps hydrate and moisturise the skin. One particularly good After Sun is Eucirin After Sun Sensitive Relief. Protecting the skin from the sun before being exposed to it is one thing, but it is also important to take care of your skin after sun exposure. 

As well as actual products, certain practices also help keep the skin healthy. Don’t forget to remove your makeup before sleeping, don’t smoke (or smoke less), sleep more, and clean your makeup brushes. Find out your skin type and, through this, you can create the best skincare routine for you! 

Business Management and Psychology graduate from the University of Aberdeen '22