You already know the importance of creating a roommate contract (and you’ve already printed out a copy of the Her Campus Sample Roommate Contract), but there’s more you need to establish with your new roomie than just when to shut off the lights at night and when the TV is allowed to be on.
To help you make your relationship with your roommate as smooth and tension-free as possible this year, we present to you a few additions to your roommate contract to cover all those gray areas that your other roomie agreement may have neglected.
Dear [your roommate’s name],
1. I, [your name], vow to never invite that cute guy or girl down the hall over for some late-night action without asking you first—and if you aren’t okay with it, I promise not to pout too much about it the next day.
2. If you want to have a party in the room, I’m fine with it on two conditions: one, that I am invited, and two, if the RA comes knocking, I expect you to take most of the blame for the noise.
3. I will never eat your snacks without your permission (except maybe for a handful of Goldfish crackers now and then because they’re going to constantly taunt me sitting on your desk like that and I don’t think I’ll be able to resist).
4. I promise not to steal your new Cosmopolitan magazines until after you read them (except for maybe a peek or two).
5. If you’re watching one of your favorite TV shows, I vow not to talk too much during it—unless it’s Pretty Little Liars, because I always get so confused during it and have to ask a lot of questions.
6. When you get a care package from your mom, I solemnly swear to not eat any of the homemade snickerdoodles she sent until after you get sick of them and offer me some.
7. I will know that anything in your closet that still has a tag on it is always off-limits, and I’ll always ask permission to borrow anything else (even that mint green cardigan that I’ve had my eye on since day one that would look so good with my new white jeans).
8. If you decide to go to sunrise yoga at 7 a.m. one day, I promise not to groan too loudly if your alarm wakes me up.
9. I vow to never snoop through the stuff you leave on your desk (even if it looks really interesting, like a letter from your ex-boyfriend or an exam that you did poorly on).
10. When I’m having a heated conversation with my dad on the phone about why my liberal arts major isn’t impractical, I’ll be sure to take the call into the hallway so you won’t have to awkwardly listen to it.
11. I will do my best to limit the number of times I accidentally lock myself out of our room (and have to call you to let me in) to three times a semester.
12. I promise to always go to bed at a reasonable hour—except for on the weekends. Or during exam week. Or any night before I have a big paper due. On second thought, let me just promise instead that I’ll be quiet when I do eventually go to bed.
13. Feel free to have your friends over whenever you’d like—except for that one friend of yours who I think gossips too much. You’re better off inviting her over when I’m not around.
14. If you come back to the room at night having had a few too many, I promise to hold back your hair if you need to get sick (as long as you promise to do the same for me!).
15. In the morning, I promise never to hit the snooze button more than twice—unless it’s a Monday, in which case I think I deserve at least three times.
16. I’ll try to keep my singing in the shower to an agreeable volume (except for when I sing Adele. When it comes to Adele, belting is a necessity).
17. When you have someone over to spend the night, I will willingly sleep on the common room couch or in a friend’s room as long as you do the same for me (and buy me coffee the next day).
18. When you ask me for my opinion on an outfit or hairstyle, I vow to always give you an honest answer (as long as you promise not to get mad if it’s not the answer you wanted to hear).
19. If you’re in the room watching a TV show or YouTube video on your laptop without your headphones while I’m trying to work, I promise to discreetly clear my throat to express my disapproval rather than shoot you a nasty death glare.
20. I will try my best to keep my side of the room as tidy as possible — but a few shirts lying here and there won’t hurt anyone, right?
21. I promise not to act too grossed out when you get sick, as long as you try not to touch my stuff and avoid having one of those phlegmy coughing fits in the middle of the night.
22. If you decide to stay in on a Friday night with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s and a Lifetime Original Movie marathon instead of going out with me, I swear I won’t tell you you’re lame—unless this becomes a weekly thing, in which case I will feel obligated to rag on you a little bit.
23. If I start snoring one night, I give you full permission to throw a pillow at me, but I do not grant you permission to then tell all our friends that I’m a snorer.
24. When an RA unexpectedly shows up for a room inspection, I promise to share the blame for any empty beer cans she might find in our trashcan.
25. I promise to clean out the inside of the microwave after I attempt a microwave recipe (and probably fail).
26. I’ll do my best to keep my shower time to less than 15 minutes (but when I’m shaving my legs, I’ll probably need more like 20).
27. But, most of all, I promise to be as considerate, respectful and good-natured a roommate as I can be—except for when I’m on my period. During those days, I simply can’t be held accountable for my behavior.
What else would you and your roomies add to this list, collegiettes? Share your own roommate agreement additions in the comments below!