As busy collegiettes, some of us may never take the time to realize just how lucky we are. Although we all come from different backgrounds, we all have the opportunity to work towards the education we desire.
However, around the world millions of other girls aren’t so lucky. Across the globe, girls face barriers to education that boys do not. But that’s all about to change with the United Nation’s first-ever International Day of the Girl, and with the help of 10×10, a campaign that works to educate girls in developing countries.
On October 11 (the official day for International Day of the Girl), 10×10 will launch a global campaign that plans to not only educate, but also empower every girl from around the world. But they can’t do it alone; 10×10 needs your help (yes, you!) to start the conversation in your community.
So, just how do you get involved? It’s easy! We’re celebrating girls here; everyone will want to join in. Here are a few events that you can host right on your college campus:
- Host a photo exhibit: Use 10×10 photos or snap your own photos holding ‘girls + education =’ signs. Get your friends to take pictures with signs on the way the way to class, during lunch, or while at a football game. Display them throughout the quad, classrooms, administration buildings, and all over campus. Create posters with facts about girls’ education and hang them alongside your photos. People love visuals and will surely start talking about International Day of the Girl.
- Have a benefit concert: Do you have a musical talent? Do you know someone with a musical talent? Bring everyone together for a concert that they’re sure to enjoy! From a cappella groups to dance teams, and student bands you’re sure to get a great turnout. Just remember to show 10×10 clips in between acts.
- Hold a panel with professors: Reach out to professors from all different departments at your school and ask them to give their thoughts on girls’ education and its importance. Bring everyone together for a discussion where students can engage in the conversation.
- Host a fashion show: Is your campus overflowing with fashionistas? If your answer is an obvious yes, then why not put on a benefit fashion show? Incorporate fashion from different countries (bonus points if you can do 10) and strut your stuff down the runway, while raising money for International Day of the Girl.
- Hold a movie night: Everyone loves a good movie! Pick a campus favorite and host movie night out on the quad. Screen some 10×10 clips before and after the film (don’t forget about during intermission, too) and start a discussion with the audience about girls’ education.
- Have a digital flashmob: We’re all on Twitter and Facebook all day, so why not do it for a good cause? Have everyone on campus tweet a fact about girls’ education and post a 10×10 clip on Facebook. There’s no better way to spread the word!
Once you’ve decided on what kind of event you want to host, register it with 10×10 here. When you register, you’ll get access to all the tools, materials, and extra details you’ll need to know about from 10×10’s resource center. 10×10 will also send you exclusive video content, including a sneak peek of their film.
If you don’t have the time or resources to host your own event, don’t sweat it! You can help build the excitement on Twitter by spreading the word about why educating girls is #BasicMath.
But why #BasicMath? As 10×10 notes, “When you educate a girl you can break cycles of poverty in just one generation. Educating girls means not only a better life for them, but a safer, healthier, and more prosperous world for all.” It’s as simple as 1, 2, 3—and what’s more basic than that?
Join 10×10’s Twitter campaign by filling in the blank: “Girls + Education = __ It’s #BasicMath”
So just remember collegiettes, mark your calendars: International Day of the Girl is October 11! Let us know how you’ll be celebrating in the comment box below.