Black History Month is the perfect time to celebrate and honor all of the contributions made to music by Black artists. Since the beginning of American history, Black artists have cultivated and profoundly influenced American music. Music has always been a part of Africana culture and a powerful tool in telling Black stories and bringing communities together.
According to Smithsonian Music, “African American influences are so fundamental to American music that there would be no American music without them.” Activists, artists, and athletes have used music throughout history to create movements and define significant eras. Music is one of the most remarkable ways to convey emotion and express ourselves. Black artists across centuries have created masterpieces birthed from their pain and plight within America. One of the most famous examples of Black liberation songs that have revolutionized history is the “Happy Birthday”song by Stevie Wonder, dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King which helped propel Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
As you celebrate Black History Month, you may find yourself in a museum or a historical park, taking amazing pics but wondering what caption to use. No worries, I’ve got you. IMO, the best captions stem from my favorite songs. Consider any of these songs and lyrics as your next Instagram caption to celebrate Black music and let your followers in on your music taste.
- “We gon’ be alright.” — “Alright” by Kendrick Lamar
The perfect caption for a group photo with your friends or family.
- “Black is beautiful.” — “Black Is Beautiful” by Chronixx
An excellent caption for your next selfie!
- “Shine your light for the world to see.” — “UMI Says” By Mos Def
- “Love and happiness.” — “Love and Happiness” by Al Green
This caption would be so cute for a couple photo.
- “Nobody can deny me that I’m blessed.” — “Blessed” by Wizkid
The gratitude anthem.
- “What a wonderful world.” — “(What A) Wonderful World” by Sam Cooke
The perfect caption for a scenery photo.
- “F.U.B.U (for us, by us).” — “F.U.B.U” by Solange
Use this as your caption when showing off creations from Black creators.
- “Peng Black Girls.” — “Peng Black Girls” by Jorja Smith
Next GNO caption!
- “Blame it on my juice.” — “Juice” by Lizzo
For the next time you’re feeling yourself.
- “Don’t touch my hair.” — “Don’t Touch My Hair” by Solange
When you show off your next hairdo!
- “Always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper.” — “Formation” by Beyoncé
Flex on the haters with this one.
- “Woman to woman, I just wanna see you glow.” — “Woman” by Little Simz
Woman empowerment anthem.
- “U.N.I.T.Y.” — “U.N.I.T.Y” by Queen Lahtifah
Again, an excellent caption for a group photo.
- “Crooked smile, we could style on ’em.” — “Crooked Smile” by J.Cole
When you’re in the mood to embrace your imperfections (we’ve all got them).
- “And I love myself.” — “i” by Kendrick Lamar.
Cute caption for a selfie. Self-love is the best love.
- “I’m rooting for everybody that’s Black.” — “Sue Me” by Wale