6 Black Artists You Can Support During Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s Black History Month, so to celebrate, we are highlighting some Black artists that you can support this month. While there are plenty of highly esteemed Black artists in the mainstream media, we aren’t going to be talking about artists like SZA or Beyonce, but instead, highlighting some smaller musicians that you might not be as familiar with. Keep reading and hopefully, you may even find your next favorite musician:

Kiana Ledé
Photo Via @10summers

Kiana Ledé is probably one of the more well-known artists on this list, but I could not make it without her. Kiana is an RnB artist who has been releasing music since 2018, captivating her listeners with her honest and vulnerable lyrics. My favorite of her work is her “Selfless” EP as she bares her soul while singing about heartbreak.

Paulade
Photo Via @_paulade

Paulade is new on the scene, with only one song out on Spotify; however, he has already made a huge impact. His single “As Days Go By” already has amassed over one million streams, and he has over 150,000 monthly listeners. I’m already hooked and cannot wait to see what else he puts out.

Eryn Allen Kane
Photo Via @erynallenkane

Eryn Allen Kane is an RnB artist with a beautiful voice and a lot of soul. I found out about her through a feature on “an interlude called ‘circus’,” where she did backing vocals, and as I dove into her discography, I loved her voice and the passion in her music. She has also been featured on tracks with other popular artists such as Chance the Rapper and the Dreamville team. She deserves a listen if you are a fan of artists such as Ari Lennox.

June Freedom
Photo Via @doitjune

June Freedom is an artist that blends a variety of sounds within his music. Drawing on the popular beats of pop, hip hop and afrosoul, June’s music fits perfectly into the evergrowing trend of dance music. Besides beats, he even defies traditional music standards by blending in different languages in his music including English, Spanish, Portuguese and Kriolu. 

Arin Ray
Photo Via @arinraycamp

I found out about Arin Ray through a song he did with Kehlani called “Change,” and I am so glad I did. Arin started on X Factor and has grown into his artistry, with over a million monthly listeners on Spotify. While his voice is amazing, he also has credits in writing for many major names including Chris Brown and Jason Derulo. His music is smooth and great to listen to while studying or going on a nice drive.

Dana Vaughn
Photo Via @muzicswipe

Dana is a smaller artist based in LA, and he specializes in RnB. His music is rhythmic, and his voice beautifully pairs with his lyrics, creating art. Dana recently dropped a new song “Touch My Soul” which is already featured on Spotify playlists. He has a smooth vibe and is a great new addition to any of your playlists.

If you have time, definitely give these artists a try and check out some of their other work! They are artists with passion and beautiful voices and are perfect for you to listen to this month (and all year round!).

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus