Gilmore Girls is our favorite show of all time. One of the things that makes it the best are the pop culture references and quick, witty banter. In every episode, you could guarantee that there would be references that you probably wouldn’t understand (I was five when the show first started airing in 2000—there are references that even now I don’t understand), but you could still appreciate the way that the characters—Lorelai and Rory, in particular—understood each other so perfectly. These are the best pop culture references from our fave 2000s show. Catch up in time for the revival on November 25!
1. When Emily was being just a little dramatic
Lorelai never put up with Emily’s drama.
2. When Rory was the geek
“What do you want a fake ID for?” “So I can vote!”
3. When Lorelai found out that someone had a crush on Sookie for 10 years
Also, ignore Lorelai’s derpy face in this screengrab.
4. When Luke tried to bring the drama
But Stars Hollow is basically Fairfield, so we get it.
5. When the Gilmore women remembered the important things in life
They’re def not into yoga.
6. When Paris was too accurate about Rory
Pretty sure the only person she upset was Lucy and that wasn’t even her fault.
7. When Lorelai was on the nose about Paris’s relationship
But without the whole Nazi invasion of France.
8. When Lorelai met Rory’s 15-year-old college roommate
TBT to NPH as a 16-year-old doctor.
9. When Lorelai made a promising suggestion
Johnny Bravo was a good show. Where is the VH1 Where Are They Now episode of Johnny Bravo?
10. When Rory broke her arm
Very sure George Clooney in E.R. was more attractive than Rory’s E.R. doctor.
11. When Michel complained about people’s impressions of him
Talking about Posh and Becks isn’t a bad thing at all.
12. When Emily and Richard just didn’t get the joke
The kids these days, they’re cranking Metallica and smoking Korn!
13. When Reese Witherspoon had Harvard connections
What, like it’s hard?
14.When Lorelai spoke horse
Also remember how freaked out everyone was when she got Paul Anka and everyone reminded her of the animals she had killed in the past?
15. Paul Anka
Paul Anka the dog, not Paul Anka the person.
16. When Rory got into Chilton
Oops, Rory was an overacheiver again.
17. When Richard and Emily got a little excited about Cher
Playing “Guess Who” with Richard and Emily is basically the best.
18. When Sookie swore on Destiny’s Child
Michel: “Pick another group.” SAME.
19. When Luke confessed his lil crush
Alright, alright, alright
20. When Lorelai pointed out that the cold makes people do crazy things
That’s some Bell Jar ish.
21. When Sookie was a pro at keeping secrets
Can you hear them? Talk about us, telling lies, well that’s no surprise
22. When Richard discovered Moby
This is a Richard and Emily appreciation post, sorry everyone.
23. When Rory summed Chicago up pretty well
“Windy” and “Oprah” are all you need to describe Chicago.
24. When Anna considered a hatred of Macaulay Culkin “unnatural”
Def not unnatural, gf.
25. When Sookie appreciated God’s greatest gift: garlic
“You come to me on this, the day of my daughter’s wedding…” smelling like garlic.