Jenner Fox ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Year: 2014

College: Branford

Hometown: Palo Alto, California

Major: Cognitive Science

Between bashful smiles and moments of modesty, Jenner Fox presented himself as the quintessential Yalie with a set of diverse interests. While Jenner has a love for soccer and an attachment to his varsity team, he spoke about his passion for folk music with the same admiration. Despite never having met him before, this Her Campus writer gathered that Jenner Fox has all the qualifications of a true Yale sweetheart… and by the way ladies, he’s single.

Favorite part of Yale life: Of course I love my [soccer] team…we haven’t necessarily had the best few seasons but it’s been totally worth it because of the guys—in fact that was one of the aspects of Yale that drew me in. The team seemed like a real family and having a close community is important to me.

Apart from that, I really love Tangled Up in Blue, my folk music group. It’s crazy how much folk music really reaches people. The members are all quirky and honestly I never would have had the opportunity to go out and meet any of them if it weren’t for this group.

How did you get involved in folk music? My dad plays the mandolin, and we used to have family folk music gatherings at night…I guess you could say it runs in the family genomes?

Favorite Song: I would say that my joke answer is “If I Die Young”…but actually the answer has a ring of truth to it. The soccer team’s pregame ritual is to listen to that and Taylor Swift, so the song really does have a place in my heart.

Nicest thing you’ve ever done for a girl: (Jenner’s modesty totally took hold here—the answer required some prodding but eventually Her Campus got the sweetest answer out of him!) During my high school years I used to go to “Strawberry Music Festival,” a folk music festival in California. I met a girl one year who I fell madly in love with from day one. There were hippies and flowers and an overall feeling of love around—it just wasn’t my fault! The downside was that she lived really far away and after the festival she had to leave California. I wrote a song for her after she’d left called, “Hattie’s song.” Some time later it just so happened that she was able to visit and in the time preceding her visit I was so excited! We’d kissed one time at the festival and I was just waiting for another kiss like that from her. When she finally came I played the song for her. She was so excited that she grabbed her mom and made me play it again. Then her mom was so excited that she grabbed Hattie’s grandmother and made me play it a third time. But the upsetting part of the whole story? I never got my kiss.

Ideal Date: I want a girl who’s funny, honest and just completely real. Oh…and liking folk music would be a huge plus. We’d go swimming in some body of water and…um…grab some food? We really would just have to laugh a lot.

Fun Fact: I haven’t shaved my beard since senior year of high school! I mean of course I’ve trimmed it…

Favorite Party Theme: Jorts and Jackets…you know like Jean shorts? Everyone looks good in shorts!

Embarrassing moment at Yale: Tangled Up in Blue was playing a show at Slifka. I was singing this emotional song and all of a sudden I just forgot all the words. So, to compensate, I made up words. Someone had to join me in harmony and just started laughing because the words I’d made up were so absurd—and then everyone in the room started laughing. Now the whole group makes fun of me and it’s become an inside joke that I’m the one who forgets song lyrics.

Yale girls are best because…They’re substantial people—they have a lot to them and they have drive. Actually they’re just all smarter than me, which is great.