Life With a “Dumb” Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Did you get my Snapchat? Have you checked your email? Where are we going? Why don’t you just Google it?

I didn’t, I can’t, and I don’t know because I don’t have a smartphone. I can’t get online, I can’t get apps, and I’m one step up from a tracfone but hey, I have a keyboard. Everyone around me has a smart phone and often reminisce when they see my slide out mobile and, with a sigh, say, “I wish I could go back to before I got a smartphone.”

No you don’t. 2006 called and it wants its phone back.

• Selfies are hard. I don’t have a front view camera. It’s a battle of clicking, missing the button, trying again, checking the outcome, and erasing it in a continuous cycle. The photos aren’t sharp, sometimes they’re blurry, and if you try to send me that selfie I just took with your phone, the format won’t work and everything gets messed up.
  • I live vicariously through everyone else’s Snapchats. I had one back in the day when my high school gave the seniors iPads for the year but now that it’s gone, I beg to try the new filters, look at stories, and maybe even send a snap (after someone reminds me how to work it).
  • I can read paper maps because I have to know how. Atlases cover my backseat from before I bought a GPS because if I get lost, I am lost. That GPS doesn’t work outside of the car though and you’ll find me asking for directions at almost every point in my journey.
  • I have a Facebook album called “If I had an Insta, I would Instagram this.” App specific social media doesn’t include everyone. If I could, I would be all over Instagram posting selfies, pictures of coffee, and all of the dogs I see, but sadly you need something that can download apps for that.
  • I pull up at the store after work hoping it didn’t close. I can’t look up their hours before I go if I need something right away. I don’t have access to Google, Siri, Cortana, or whatever other searches people use. Unless there’s someone I can ask, I’ll just cross my fingers and hope it’ll all work out.
  • Digital coupons are my biggest enemies. If it ever says to show electronically, I either accept my fate or assess the situation to see if maybe they’ll let me explain my predicament. I’ve missed free Chipotle burritos because I can’t open their online coupon via text message.
  • Along with digital coupons, I also can’t access many rewards programs like Starbucks and Dunkin’. Bye-bye free coffees and reminders to update my Perks card.
  • Remember when everyone carried their phone in one pocket and their iPod in the other pocket? That’s still a reality.
  • I can’t check emails in public. If I happen to have my laptop on me when I need to check for something important, I’ll turn my bag around and wear it backwards, unzip it to form a small ledge, and prop my laptop up while I quickly surf the web and get to my destination assuming that where I’m walking has public internet.
  • Emojis? What are you saying? How do you feel? My screen is covered in boxes and I don’t know what you’re trying to tell me. I either use emoticons e_e or type everything out (thumbs up emoji) in hopes to get my mood across when texting.

On the plus side? My phone never breaks when I drop it.

Think twice before turning in your snazzy technologically advanced phone for something that takes five minutes to load a picture message.

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.