jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer in the B-Hamptons!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Have you ever wondered what summer is like up in Bellingham? Or maybe you have already experienced the warm summer days looking out on Bellingham bay. Summer is only a few short weeks away, and as soon as those finals are in our professor’s hands, we are ready to celebrate. Whether you’re looking forward to that graduation cap and finally earning your degree or simply the excitement of freedom, summer in Bellingham is definitely a treat.

So what is there to do in Bellingham? Well that shouldn’t even be a question; there is plenty to do over the summer up in the B-Hamptons! According to BE in Bellingham, summer activities range from having fun in the great outdoors to indoor activities and downtown Bellingham!

Get your local fix this summer with Bellingham’s farmers market. Bellingham natives join every Saturday from 10 am to 3 pm as well as the Wednesday market starting next week from 12 to 5 pm. They will be having live music at the Wednesday market starting at 2:30, so grab some friends and chill out to some good tunes.

Bellingham has a great array of hiking trails and beautiful lakes to simply relax at. Catch a spectacular sunset at Oyster Dome hike, or catch some sunrays lying beside Lake Padden or Lake Whatcom! It is easy to find a hike for any time restriction. Bellingham offers two-mile hiking trails for the short distance lovers, but also offers hikes and trails that can be as long as nine miles.

If you aren’t a lake person, there are plenty of beaches for the Bellingham beach bum. Locust Beach, dubbed as “Bellingham’s secret playground” can be a fun day trip to bring together a few friends for some summer sun. One of the biggest activities to do at Locust is to walk out as far onto the shallow delta as possible!

Bring back childhood by venturing up to Birch Bay for the day! At Miniature World your inner child can play mini golf and race go-karts! Birch Bay is also a great place to drive up to for the day to explore a variety of restaurants and walk along the beach.

Downtown Bellingham is always a great place to hangout regardless of the season! In summer however, the warm weather creates an atmosphere where eating Mallard’s Ice Cream and checking out the shops becomes the perfect combo.

For the 21 plus, catch a couple events at the Wild Buffalo. Check out 90’s night every Wednesday. Glow Nightclub is also open Tuesday through Saturday from 9 pm to 2 am for your dancing pleasure.

Don’t forget that the Fourth of July is coming up in just over a month! Every year, Bellingham joins together with Haggen Food and Pharmacy for the Fourth of July Festival. Free activities, live music and a beer garden are offered throughout the day and to top it off, at 10:30 pm, a firework display glimmers across the sky just over Bellingham Bay! Now that’s a celebration. 

Without further ado, Bellingham, or the B-Hamptons in other words, has more than plenty activities to do this summer. Check out  http://www.bellingham.org/ to find out even more about this incredible city! 

Kylee Morgan. WWU. 21 years old. Communications and PR enthusiast. WWU Campus Correspondent.