Meet the Sports Director at U92, Alex Wiederspiel!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Alex Wiederspiel is the sports director at WVU’s campus radio station, U92FM.

Q: When did you first decide you wanted to go into broadcasting?

A: I decided I wanted to go into broadcasting when I was 6 years old.  I used to commentate on everything from video games to entertaining other campers at my summer sports camps with my commentary on the games we were playing. The first week of college when I applied to U92 and got hired, I knew from then on there was no question on what I wanted my career to be.

Q: What is your favorite part of your job?

A: My favorite part of my job is definitely calling games and doing play-by-plays. There is nothing like calling a hockey or basketball game at that last moment when there is a game-winning point scored.

Q: What else do you do outside of U92?

A: I write and co-own a web site called BDLsports.net and have made many appearances on the Howitzer-Buzzsaw show on blogtalkradio.com. I have also worked on WVU News as the sports anchor and have written for several different web sites including isportsweb.com (where I was a New York Jets correspondent), scardraft.com and broadwayjoe.tv. I am also currently writing a screenplay that is based on U92 that I would love to see become a show one day. 

Q: What are your plans for the future?

A: I would definitely like to continue working in radio and calling play-by-plays. My dream job would be something like what a man named Bob Wischusen currently does; he is the radio voice for the New York Jets for WABC, WEPN and ESPN. 

Q: What have been some highlights of your time at U92?

A: My biggest three highlights have been winning Rookie Sportscaster of the Year, Sportscaster of the Year and Broadcaster of the Year. It was an amazing feeling to know that the hard work I had put in at the station had paid off. I would also like to mention that I have met some of my best friends through the station and the broadcasting major at WVU, who I eventually hope to work with in my career. Not to mention earning my nickname, Alex the Hebrew Hammer Wiederspiel. 

Q: Favorite quotes that have inspired you?

A: ” I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. I am in earnest–I will not equivocate–I will not excuse–I will not retreat a single inch–and I will be heard.”–William Lloyd Garrison

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”–John Adams

Rachel is a junior at West Virginia University and a direct-admit to the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, majoring in public relations with a minor in dance. She is the treasurer of the WVU chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and a member of the WVU Dance Ensemble. Rachel is currently an intern with the Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce, where she single-handedly designs, writes and edits the monthly newsletter. She also works part-time at Guess. Writing, dancing and fashion are all passions of Rachel’s. In her free time, she enjoys getting coffee, shopping (especially for high heels and dresses), tanning, sushi, reading, listening to music and being a closet movie buff. Rachel’s hometown is Pittsburgh, PA, where she hopes to return to live and work someday at a public relations agency.