4 Ways to get Your Life Together in a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

You’re not feeling like yourself, work/school is seriously taking a toll on completing day-to-day tasks, and you’re feeling overwhelmed at the seemingly endless list of “To-Do’s” that are piling up in your head. Get a grip– fast– with these five tips on how to pull yourself together.

1. Write a list.

Often times when life gets super stressful, you have 99 problems and feel like you’re forgetting about 99 more. Write down everything– from schoolwork to laundry to walking the dog– so you have a tangible base to start checking things off. It’s satisfying and you’ll be able to plan your next seven days out perfectly.

2. Clean.

It’s not a very fun task to start off your week of self-improvement, but you’ll feel quite accomplished once it’s done. The pile of laundry in the corner of your closet and the trash overflowing in the kitchen are only making your hectic life worse, so turn your home into a tidy oasis for your week of work.

3. Put yourself on a schedule. 

Don’t stress yourself out further with a crazy restrictive diet and an intense new workout regimen, but do stick to some routines like going to bed at the same time every night, reserving time for breakfast, picking out your clothing the night before, and even taking a walk in the evenings. The stronger handle you have on what’s you’re doing, the better you’ll feel.

4. Delete social media apps from your phone.

You’ll find yourself being a lot more productive when you don’t watch the Instagram explore page videos for 20 minutes before you even realize it. This is a week of putting yourself first, so don’t pay attention to what the rest of the world is doing.

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.