10 Ways to De-Stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s everyone’s least favorite yet favorite time of the semester. Finals week. The stress hits you like a truck, but your excitement to go home is through the roof. You’re at that point in the semester where motivation is low, but you have a million and one things that you need to get done. Obviously with this comes a lot of stress.

Here are some ideas to help you de-stress during finals week:

1. Watch a holiday movie

Take some time get yourself in the holiday spirit, because as soon as you make it through finals the only thing that will be on your mind is how excited you are to spend some the holidays with your family. So go ahead pick out your favorite Christmas, drink some hot chocolate and get cozy on the couch.

2. Take a bath/shower

Showers or if your lucky enough to have a bathtub, are the best places to relax. The hot water, and for the really lucky ones, a bubble bath makes all of your problems go away. Put on some good music and the shower can turn into concert too. If you’re really feeling stressed put on a facemask after, clean pores can de-stress anyone.

3. Treat yo self

Everyone says stress eating is the one thing you shouldn’t do, but it’s finals week all rules are out the window. Go buy your favorite Ben & Jerry’s ice cream or a bag of your favorite chocolates. Not saying to do this every night of Finals week (if you do more power to you girl), but one night of treats is totally okay!

4. Take a break

Sometimes the best thing to do is step away from your work and take a break. Whether you go somewhere on your break or just use it to get caught up on social media, breaks give your mind a few minutes to relax.

5. Take a nap

And for the times your brain needs more than a short break just take a nap. Napping really recharges you and your brain and it’s the only time where you can really think about nothing.

6. Organize your life

When you have a million and one things going through your mind during this week, making lists and realizing what you actually have due and when can help you so much. Having a plan of attack for this insane week, makes everything seem more manageable.

7. Work Out

Working out is a great way to de-stress and you don’t need to be someone who regularly works out. Even if you just go for walk, exercising releases endorphins which make you happy. Just get moving and get your mind off your work for a bit.

8. Pet a Dog

Find yourself any animal to pet, you have to know a friend that has one, it’s a plus if you have your own. WVU usually offer dog petting in the library during finals week, too. I don’t know how seeing a happy dog couldn’t de-stress you.

9. Go out

I’m not saying go out the night before your final, but if there’s night you don’t have a final the next day or the weekend before finals why not. Going out and letting loose is perfect way to de-stress, because I think the last thing on anyone’s mind while they’re out is school.

10. Relax

Take a breath and relax you’ll make it through this finals week, just like you’ve survived every other finals week. Before you know it you’ll be on break and the last thing on your mind will be classes or exams.

Just a Pittsburgh girl livin' in the wild and wonderful West Viriginia. WVU '19 Public Relations, Sister of Pi Beta Phi, and Corgi enthusiast.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!