A Nine to Five Job-The Truth about College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

As a senior in high school, I didn’t know what to expect going into college. I wondered whether or not I would get more homework, less homework, or the same amount. I had no idea if I would take classes that pertained only to my major, or if I would be required to take additional classes such as electives.

Once I committed to Washington State University, my family and friends continuously gave me advice on how to be successful in college. They told me stories about when they were in school and what they did to graduate within four years.

One thing that stood out to me was said by a family friend I’ve known since I was little. She attended Washington State University as well.  What she said to me really stuck. “Treat college like a nine to five job.” I was confused on what she meant at first. I compared it to high school when I started at 7:20 am and would be done with my school day at 1:50 pm. I thought that was a long day, but now she is telling me to do school work for a straight eight hours… I assumed that going to college would mean that I have less time in classes and more free time when at school.

After successfully completing my first year in college, I have taken her advice into consideration. It has been very useful. A majority of the week, I am on campus starting at 9 am, just in time for my first class. I stay on campus even if I have breaks in my schedule. For example, last semester I had a 9 am that went until 10 am, but my next class wasn’t until noon. I stayed on campus while some of my friends went home. In between my break time, I completed my homework, so I wouldn’t have to do it later. I loved having those breaks and finishing my homework early. My last class would end around 2 pm or 3 pm. Unless I had to work or had to be somewhere, I chose to stay on campus until around 5 pm. I completed everything before dinner time. 

Staying on campus during that time frame allowed me to come home and just relax. I would finish dinner, hang out with my friends, watch Netflix, etc. I completed my homework on campus and always looked forward to going home and having absolutely nothing to do. A way to de-stress before I go to bed and start a whole new day.

After reading this article, I hope you learn that college doesn’t have to be full of stress, homework, and studying. There is a way to make your college experience easier, more fun, and less stressful. Complete your homework early, don’t procrastinate. Take the time to stay on campus and finish your homework before going home for a night full of Netflix.

Campus Correspondent for WSU Chapter
I am a sophomore at Washington State University. I am getting a degree in International Business and am looking forward to a career in Non-Profit work! Be sure to check out WSU's Her Campus page!