5 Do-it-Yourself Summer Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Summer is just around the corner and it’s about time to break out the cute sundresses and itsy-bitsy bikinis! Don’t forget though: having cute and fun hair is just as important as the outfit, and it can either make or break your look.

Read on as Her Campus WPUNJ tells you five ways to jazz up your hair this summer!

1.

This hairstyle can work well with medium to thick hair, or any type that can hold a wave. To do this, all you need is about 15-20 bobby pins, depending on the thickness of your hair. Making sure hair is completely or almost dry, divide your hair into five sections: top of head, one of each side near your ears, and two at the back of your neck. After, all you need to do is twist hair and pin it in place, then sleep on it! When you wake up in the morning, you will have waves galore. You don’t need to add product, but if you feel naked without anything, just a spritz of beach spray will do.

2.

This is the sophisticated sister of the standard ponytail! Start with your hair pulled back, then add as many elastics as you want, however far apart that you would like. For an even prettier look, buy hair ties that are glammed out for a special occasion!

3.

Instead of hopelessly trying to explain how to do a fishtail, which is actually quite easy, the tutorial below gives clear and easy-to-follow instructions:

4.

This has to be one of the coolest up-dos and a fresh take on the classic high bun. Although it seems complicated, it is actually very simple and easy. To begin, collect hair from the corner of eyebrows and fasten with a pin. Turn your head upside down and French braid the hair from nape of neck all the way to the crow. Secure the braid with an elastic, then take pinned section and combine with braid to form a pony. From here, just twist hair to form a bun and secure with pins.

5.

This style is perfect for a date night or even an internship interview! First, spray damp hair with a volumizer, then blow dry it on a low setting.  Next, tease the crown, and gather into a low ponytail. Then, just secure with a tie, pull out face-framing pieces, and you’ll instantly be transformed into a bohemian goddess!

Photo credits:

Waves: firstclassfashionista.com

Sectioned off ponytail: 1.bp.blogspot.com

Fishtail: lipstickstarsandkillerheels.blogspot.com/ehairexperts.com

French-braided bun: becomegorgeous.com

Bohemian ponytail: royoyo.com

Tara Davis-Scholle is a junior at William Paterson University. She currently writes for Her Campus, and has written for USA Today and PreviewStay in the past. She has been an Events and Marketing intern for Habitat for Humanity of Trenton, and in her free time, Tara likes to read, travel, and go to the Jersey Shore!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"