The Problem with “First World Problems”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

During this time of thanksgiving, we all begin to think about all of our blessings.  We have so many incredible things that other people could not even dream of having.  I am not talking just about people across the world but also some people in our own hometowns. Not everyone is able to have an IPhone, go to college, or even have a home.  It is important to remember our blessings not only now but all the time.

We all need to complain about our daily hassles once in awhile, but lately I have run into so many people who just constantly complain about every tiny thing in life.  We have all had those days but we have to remember these “First World Problems” are things some people never even get the chance to experience. 

Image Source

Some examples of these ridiculous, yet common, first world problems include: “My big didn’t get me enough presents”, “The construction is too loud”, and “The barista spelled my name wrong”.  I am fortunate enough to be a part of few organizations and have multiple bigs.  However, a lot of people are not apart of sororities or other clubs because they do not have the financial capabilities to be in one.  We should be grateful to be in clubs and to have the accessibility to even be able to get to know and be loved by so many other people.  The gifts should not matter but the bonds we make should. Let’s be honest, construction is very annoying and loud but it is going to lead to incredibly nice and useful buildings.  It gives us many opportunities and is essential for growth as a nation. If the barista spelling your name wrong on your $5.00 cup of coffee is the worst thing to happen today, then you’re doing very well.

Venting about daily hassles is definitely necessary in life but sometimes you need to think about how blessed you are before you decide to complain about it.  Take a deep breath and realize your life is truly wonderful and filled with so many incredible opportunities others do not have.  We are all lucky to have first world problems and not third world problems. Instead of complaining, embrace the small struggles, take a deep breath and move forward.

Image Source

Cover photo source