neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tasks to Complete Before You Arrive at W&M in the Fall: Class of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

With the summer quickly coming to a close, it’s high time for students to conclude their summer plans and begin planning for the fall. For incoming college freshmen, this task list can seem especially endless. Don’t freak out, though! The transition from high school to college is a wonderful one! Some of these tasks may be small, and others may require more attention. Either way, it is wise to plan accordingly during these last weeks of the summer, and to prepare for the next monumental chapter of your life!

1) Learn to cook!

If you do not master this over the summer, don’t fret! The important thing is to get your feet wet and learn some basics in cooking. It can’t hurt to learn how to create small meals, even though most freshmen has a meal plan. Mac n’ cheese, quesadillas, French toast and mini pizzas are simple meals to get you started. Pinterest is also a foolproof source to finding easy to make college vittles. And if you own a microwave, bring it. The late night munchies are inevitable!

Learn to Cook Online

2) Catch up on world and local news.

If you haven’t already, start to familiarize yourself with what is going on in the world inside and outside William and Mary. Chances are you won’t have the newspaper on you at all times. However, it is great to be knowledgeable about current events. Increasing your awareness of outside cultures and interests can only add to your W&M experience. Additionally, William and Mary’s campus is always brewing with excitement and new things! Along with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media accounts, we have a bulletin of events called studenthappenings that is sent out to all students twice a week to keep you informed.

Google News Frontpage

3) Clean out that closet!

There is no way you can take every article of clothing with you… it’s just not going to happen. This is a mistake most college freshmen make! I would recommend taking your fall and spring clothing and shoes. Try to limit the amount of accessories you bring; chances are you won’t use every handbag in your closet. As for winter belongings, you should leave them at home until a school break. Lastly, BRING RAIN BOOTS. Williamsburg is a swampy mess in the early fall, but the weather does improve!

5 Ways To Edit Your Wardrobe

The HCWM Fashion Guide For Transitioning Your Wardrobe From High School To College

4) Build your social media presence.

Item One: Clean up Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Just like your clothes, don’t take everything from high school with you. And congrats, you’re a TWAMP now!

Item Two: Create a LinkedIn. LinkedIn can be slightly intimidating to incoming freshmen and older students alike. But since your profile will most likely change over the course of four years, feel free to open an account and get started!

Item Three: Become familiar with helpful websites like MyEdu.com, Schedulizer.com, Mint.com, Internships.com, and of course HerCampus.com! Don’t forget, the Cohen Career Center is the perfect avenue for students looking to create and perfect their resumes, LinkedIn, and cover letters.

5) Revise your resume.

Speaking of resumes, even though most high school graduates just solidified theirs, the revising period is not even close to being over! Just like your LinkedIn profile, your resume will continuously change from semester to semester and year to year. Additionally, do not feel pressure to do an internship, hold multiple summer jobs, hang out with friends, and begin research just to add items to your resume. Pick a couple of things that matter most to you and stick with them!

6) Change up your look!

Let me be clear. I’m not talking about becoming a whole new person. Changing your look can be as simple as revamping your style, whether it be your outfits, haircut, accessories, or makeup. A change of lipstick and/or hair color is a basic but inventive way to reinvent your appearance. If you’re looking to save some money, I suggest altering the clothes you already own. For example, with the right tailoring, an old pair of jeans can be refashioned into a pair of high-waisted shorts for the fall. Diversity is a celebrated aspect of life at W&M, so don’t afraid to try something new and embrace your individuality!

10 Ways To Reinvent Your Look

7) Visit your new home away from home.

If you have the transportation means to get yourself to W&M, by all means visit! Summer is the perfect time to visit William and Mary: the weather is ideal and there is more time left in the day to explore. This is your opportunity to not only experience the campus firsthand, but to hear about campus employment options, pay a visit to the college town, and interact with current students. Since W&M is soon to be your new residence, it is vital to get a sense of what it is like to be a true TWAMP!

WELCOME TO WILLIAM AND MARY!!!