Celebrating Girl Power: Galentine’s Day Movies!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whether you’re single, happily committed or somewhere lost in-between, Valentine’s Day can be a stressful holiday. No matter if it’s prepping an over-glorified, perfect date or constant daily reminders of how single you are, you need to give yourself a break. So trust your significant other to plan your V-day and spend some much needed quality time with your best friends for G-day!

If there’s anything better than celebrating love, it’s celebrating your gals. Who else is there for you when guys fail? Take your pick of some of my favorite Galentine’s Day movies and celebrate your strong, independent, feminine selves!

#1: Eat, Pray, Love

No matter your current relationship status, this movie is 100% about self-empowerment. The film is based off a true story and novel written by Liz Gilbert, who is played by Julia Roberts, and yes she’s as fantastic and marvelous as ever. After an emotionally draining divorce, Liz packs up and takes a self-discovering trip across the world to Italy (eat), India (pray), and Bali (love), but only discovering love after truly learning to love herself.

Movie Snack Idea: Gather all your girls and cook a homemade Italian dinner to eat during the movie, even something simple like spaghetti and garlic bread! While Liz pigs out in Italy, you can do the same in your living room. Don’t forget the wine!          

#2: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The movie has a simple premise. Four best friends, all very unique in shapes and personalities, find a pair of pants that magically fits them all. As they each head their separate ways for the summer, they decide to send the pants, as well as their stories, to one another to stay connected. It’s the perfect BFF romance story. Plus, if you’re girl-crushing on Blake Lively as hard as I am, you need to watch this movie ASAP because you’ll love little Lively as much as you love fierce, Gossip Girl Lively. 

If you’re really feeling the sisterhood, why not make it a marathon and watch the 2nd too? In early 2015, rumor had it a 3rd one was “in the works”? Hopefully!

Movie Snack Idea: Head down to the Parthenon on State Street ahead of time with your gals and pick up some gyros to go. Hopefully that way you can subdue a little of your hunger AND your jealousy when Lena travels to Greece to spend the summer near the ocean.

#3: She’s The Man

Nothing better than Amanda Bynes, pre-mental meltdown, kicking boys butts on the soccer field. In the movie, Viola Hastings impersonates her twin brother Sebastian to try to win the respect of her coaches, mother, friends and teammates. She also proves she’s just as talented as the guys when it comes to ball handling. It’s hilarious and totally shows that women can do absolutely anything.

Movie Snack Idea: How about some 5 Guys Burgers and Fries? As long as we’re proving gender equality, might as well show them 5 GIRLS can handle those burgers just as well!

#4: John Tucker Must Die

This is a totally underrated movie and recently got shadowed by “The Other Woman” which had an insanely similar plot line. But this movie is about an arrogant cheater named John Tucker. When all three of his girlfriends realize he is cheating on all of them…with each other… they decide to join forces and get revenge! This movie is hoes before bros, chicks over dicks, ovaries before brovaries and all that other great Galentine’s day stuff.

Movie Snack Idea: Directly quoting the movie, “Chocolate makes everything better.” So eat as much chocolate as you can. I mean, let’s be honest, your Galentines deserve it more than any Valentines this year anyway.

So this year for Galentine’s day, spend the night with the girls you love and embrace your beauty and strength! Laugh, cry, enjoy great food and most importantly, appreciate incredible women both on-screen and off!

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies