This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you guys are anything like me (AKA poor AF but also a keen fashionista), then you know how important it is to find the best deals on clothes. This can be hard when you’re confined to the small radius of campus. But, fear not: below is a list of the closest—and some of the coolest—thrift stores that are sure to be walking distance from your apartment or dorm on campus.

Ragstock

This one is probably the most well-known shop here in Madison, and it’s close to all of the other fan-favorite State Street festivities. Ragstock is a chain of “recycled” clothing that can be found in the Midwest. Madison is lucky enough to have its very own, and no wonder its wildly popular among students. At Ragstock, you can find a wide variety of casual, classy, and goofy additions to your closet.

ReThreads

This thrift store is perfect for anyone looking to also get a little spring cleaning done. ReThreads buys, sells, and trades clothing. They offer well-known brands at affordable prices, and they seriously suite the style of any shopper. Fortunately for us Badgers, this gem can also be found on State Street.

Good Style Shop

Looking for unique, vintage clothing? This store is my go-to. Good Style Shop describes itself as “Madison’s last, best vintage clothing store.” It’s located on East Johnson Street, so it’s unfortunately quite a hike from campus compared to the last two thrift finds. But, the stuff you’ll find here is so worth it. Trust me—I discovered a pair of high-waisted Calvin Klein jeans there for only 20 dollars. The store atmosphere is also super chic, and the best part of the experience was shopping alongside the in-store kitty, Luna. Definitely, check this shop out for everything vintage that your heart desires.

Upshift Swap Shop

Our final destination has a unique shopping experience in store for you! Located just kitty-corner to Good Style Shop on Johnson Street, you can find an entirely new and unique wardrobe here. The best part? You bring in a bag of clothing you no longer want and you get to refill your bag with stuff you find here for a small swap fee of 20 dollars. How cool is that? They even offer a “sip-while-you-shop” with complimentary Franzia at the door—a savvy college student’s favorite.

So go ahead and spend a sunny afternoon at these classic and unique thrift shops, and know you’re coming out of there looking like the smartest-spending queen there ever was. Happy shopping!

Source of Images: Oliva Herken

Olivia is an adventurous sophomore at UW-Madison! She's pursuing two degrees in both journalism and mass communication, as well as literature. Olivia's favorite things about being a Badger is the school spirit, and the ability to always have something new to explore on campus. You can catch her at the Union or a coffee shop on the weekends with her friends!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!