15 Ways to Avoid the 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Every freshman girl dreads, fears and stresses over those fifteen pounds that are basically unavoidable.  We go into the year with a positive mindset thinking, “It won’t happen to me, I’m the exception.” Despite all the goals we set, the 15 pounds goes straight to our thighs, hips, stomachs and everywhere in between.  How can you say no to that greasy mac and cheese pizza staring at you after a night out?  How can you possibly go to the gym with that record-breaking hangover?  There are many fun, easy ways to stay healthy and in shape while still enjoying the occasional 2 am pizza deliveries, social eating, and other unavoidable parts of freshman year that make it unforgettable.

1. Power in Numbers

It’s hard to be motivated to work out 100% of the time, but there truly is power in numbers.  Get together with friends and set dates and times to exercise together!  Working out with friends can make it a lot more enjoyable and not so difficult.  The addition of slight competition will also help motivate you to follow through in your workout and to push yourself to your max!

2. Make a Schedule

Planning in set times to work out during the week will also help motivate you!  If you decide to go to the gym every Tuesday from 4:30-5:00 you can no longer make up excuses to skip your dates with the treadmill, or ditch the weights for a nap or homework.  Rather, you are committed to your body in this short allotted time.  Additionally, making an eating schedule for the week and planning what you will have for meals can also help reduce impulse eating.  Sometimes when you get really hungry it’s easy to just cave and order the cheeseburger.  If you plan to eat a salad for lunch and grilled chicken for dinner you will most likely follow through.

3. Focus During the Week

The week is your time to devote to your health.  We can all admit it’s difficult to stick to any kind of diet or healthy lifestyle on the weekends when you’re going out and all your friends decide to order a pizza at 2 AM.  The week is when you need to really focus on your body, to set your mind to eat healthy, work out and take care of yourself.  It’s your chance to restart and say goodbye to the late night garlic bread sticks you ate last Saturday.  Now this doesn’t mean weekends are a free for all, but the week is when you need to really ask yourself if you want that bag of potato chips or an apple instead, if you want to lay in bed or go to the gym. 

4. Get Creative in the Kitchen

Learn to cook!  Cooking your own meals is always healthier than eating out.  Even when you order something healthy like a salad or an omelet, you don’t know how much oil or butter the kitchen is using to cook your meal, and you don’t know how much sugar is in that salad dressing.  Cooking for yourself you see everything that goes on behind the stove.  Also, there are plenty of fun and different healthy recipes to try!  Get creative and be smart about what you’re putting in your mouth!

5. Don’t Limit Yourself

A lot of us will feel unsatisfied with our bodies and our immediate reaction is to be strict and absolute with ourselves.  We develop this all or nothing mindset.  So what do we do? We being cutting down, skipping meals, no carbs ever never ever again!  In the end though, this approach ALWAYS backfires.  It’s not realistic.  The moment we screw up in our minds, it’s a free for all.  You need to learn to balance your meals.  It’s okay to have a bread roll here and there or something sweet after dinner.  The key is everything in moderation.

6. Sign Up for Classes

Signing up for workout classes can be a great way to stay motivated.  You won’t quit your workout halfway through when you’re in a class full of people all doing the same activity.  And most of the time you will show up to classes you sign up for because either they cost money to miss or you simply feel and obligation.  Classes are also a fun way to mix it up.  Sometimes it’s good to have an instructor motivate you and push you to work harder.  There are also plenty of types of classes ranging from yoga to spinning to boxing and so much more. Check out this link to classes offered at the Serf and Nat!

7. Snack, Snack, Snack

You’re supposed to consume 6-8 small meals a day.  Don’t let yourself go starving throughout the day, awaiting your next meal.  It’s important to snack to keep your body energized and awake.  Additionally, snacking will keep your metabolism moving all day so that your body doesn’t store the food you eat as fat.  If you fast all day, the moment your body gets an ounce of food in it this food will be stored as fat for later.  Snacking can also help you eat normal portions at meals instead of letting your body go hungry and overeat the first chance you get.  There are plenty of easy healthy snacks to bring with you throughout your day like apples, carrots, celery, bananas, protein bars, granola, nuts, and more.

8.  Listen to Your Body

Most of us eat…all the time.  Not just when we’re hungry, but when we’re bored, procrastinating, upset, stressed, etc.  We often go to food for comfort or distraction.  It’s important that we listen to our bodies.  Eat when you’re hungry and eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed.  Ways to avoid stress, bored, or procrastination eating are to chew gum, drink water (lots of it!), or find other ways to spend your time such as going for a walk, painting your nails, etc.

9. Watch What You Drink

It’s underrated how many calories are in alcoholic drinks.  There are just 72 calories in one shot of vodka, 154 calories in one can of beer, 228 calories in one long island iced tea, etc.  Try to only drink as much as you need.  You don’t need to be on the floor or being dragged home by your friend to have a good time.  Also, try to avoid drinking out.  Those fruity drinks you get at the bar, the ones that go down like water, they have tons of sugars and empty calories.  Pace yourself and watch what you drink.

10.   Walk It Out

Not enough time in the day to exercise you say?  Walk it out.  Walk to class instead of taking the bus.  You only have to leave a few minutes earlier and you’ll get a short workout in.  Take the stairs instead of the elevator.  Ride a bike to the library.  There are plenty of ways to burn a few extra calories without devoting a lot of time to these activities.

11. Catch Those Zzz’s…

Sleep is so important!  Many studies have linked getting enough sleep to maintaining a healthy weight.  We are supposed to get around AT LEAST eight hours of sleep a night, yet most of us don’t even reach eight!  Set yourself a time to go to bed each night based on when you have to wake up and try to get into a good sleep pattern.  Avoid taking long naps throughout the day and try to avoid watching TV, using your laptop, or listening to music before bed!

12. Take It Slow

Slow down!  We are always in a rush nowadays.  It’s important that when we eat we eat slowly and take the time to enjoy our meal in order to be satisfied.  Additionally, it takes about 20 minutes for your body to process the feeling of being full, so if you just slow down you may end up eating just the right about instead of clearing your plate, needing to unbutton your pants, or feeling like you’re gonna explode!

13. The Most Important Meal of the Day

Eat breakfast! It truly is the most important meal of the day.  It starts your metabolism up for the entire day.  Skipping breakfast often results in you eating double the amount you would have at the next meal or snacking on high calorie foods to postpone hunger.  Most importantly, breakfast gives you the energy and kick-start you need for your day.

14. Drink Water

Drinking water can curb your hunger and boost your metabolism. A lot of people confuse thirst with hunger. When you’re searching for something in the fridge try chugging a glass of water and then see how you feel.  Get around eight, eight ounce glasses of water a day!

15. Make It Fun

Whatever you do, make it fun! Maintaining a healthy lifestyle shouldn’t feel like a job.  Find ways to make it fun and exciting! Continue to try new things and change things up!  You only get one life so make sure you’re healthy and happy and feel good about yourself!  Life is all about balance.  Most of all, know that you can do it!  It may not always be a downhill battle, but you have it inside of you. 

Enjoy the little things about freshman year: the late night pizza deliveries, midnight study snacks with friends, hungover carby breakfasts, boredom froyo runs, trying all the talked-about restaurants, etc. But work hard to stay healthy. Follow these simple tips and it won’t be as hard as it seems. You’re better than the freshman 15, and you can beat it any day!

Jami Gross

Wisconsin

I am currently a sophomore at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing a degree in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  As Campus Correspondent of Her Campus, Wisconsin chapter I am passionate about current events and can be found browsing any and every article that pops- up on my Facebook newsfeed.