15 Thoughts You Had During Your Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’re like me—and most other students heading into the last half of their college careers—you had a summer internship. The ups and downs that come with the small glimpse into our future 9-5 lives can be summed up with 15 thoughts you had during your summer internship!

In the beginning:

1. “Alright, it’s the first day! I am so psyched, and I am going to keep pumping myself up to distract from the horrible nerves that are making me want to vomit!”
  2. “The first day is going well, it’s already time for lunch! Wait, am I supposed to leave? Eat in the office? What is the protocol???”
  3. “My work email is all set up! So professional, so techy!”
  4. “Okay, second week here we go! I am such an adult: driving to work in the morning, coming home in the evening!”
  5. “First paycheck, woohoo! Wait—I have to pay what in taxes??”

In the middle:

1. “Okay, this whole waking up at 7:00 am thing and not getting home until 5:30 is getting a little old.”

1. “But, on the bright side, I finally feel like I somewhat know what to do with my time in the office!”
  2. “These daily PB&J sandwiches are getting pretty lame, especially when the IT guys always bring in Chinese food.”
  3. “So, I’m supposed to work out after I work all day? Fat chance…”
  4. “Nobody told me internship means sitting inside all day which majorly ruins my summer tan!”

At the end:

1. “Sweet, only two more weeks of work!”
  2. “…but then I have to go back to school with homework and exams? Can I just graduate already?”
  3. “It’s my last day?? I don’t want to leave these people and this company that has taught me so much! I guess there is always full-time after graduation…”

Whatever your summer plans were, I hope you had as much fun and grew as much as I did! Here’s to an amazing summer internship!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!