13 Stages of Getting Over a Breakup as Told by Jessica Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The beginning of the relationship is always the best part. It’s fun and new, and you still get butterflies every time you see each other. The end is a different story. Endings are usually messy and hard. No matter who initiated the break up, it’s an uncomfortable time and totally normal to feel like you’re on an emotional roller coaster.

Stage 1: You’re confused. You feel hurt and sad, and you keep replaying it over and over again in your head. 

Stage 2: You have processed what has happened. You need ice cream and break up music. Stat!

Stage 3: You are pretty sure you will never meet anyone again, and you are destined to be single forever.

Stage 4: You are over it. You think.

Stage 5: It’s time to move on and go out with your girls.

Stage 6: You realize you can finally appreciate all the cute guys around. Plus, going out with your friends is so much more fun when you are single.

Stage 7: You run into your Ex, and all of the feelings resurface.

Stage 8: Maybe you’re not over it yet.

Stage 9: You blast music and rant about relationships with your friends.

Stage 10: You return to stage 2 for a little while. 

Stage 11: You realize you are better off without him, and that everything is going to be okay.

Stage 12: You decided to take some time to be by yourself and not focus on guys for a while.

Stage 13: But then you get a new match on Tinder. Maybe guys aren’t too bad, after all? I mean look at that smile. 

In the end, you are single now. If you were dating for a while, it might take some getting used to. You go from being with someone who knows all your little quirks and likes/dislikes to having to start all over again. There’s no rush to get back out there. That’s something that comes with time, and there’s something really gratifying about being on your own. Especially in college; you want the space to try new things and meet new people!

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and if you broke up, it means that your SO wasn’t the one. Plus, if you were still trying to make that relationship work, you wouldn’t be available to meet the one. Have you ever heard the song “Closing Time”? The best part is: Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end.

Just remember Collegiettes, you are amazing, don’t let the end of a relationship make you think anything different. Someday you will meet someone who realizes that and makes you wonder why you ever spent time being sad about this one. 

Taylor Shiff is a Senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, majoring in Communication Arts-Radio/TV/Film, with a Digital Studies certificate. She is a yogi, cupcake enthusiast and superfan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Taylor is also the writer behind the blog, "Life in the Lost and Found Bin", at http://www.lifeinthelostandfoundbin.com
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!