Style > Beauty

The Yearly Roundup: 2016 Beauty Favourites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Happy New Year, collegiettes! With 2016 officially behind us, we at Her Campus thought it was the perfect time to post an updated list of the ultimate beauty products we discovered in 2016. These are the breakthrough products, the holy grails, and the game changers that easily became staples over the course of the last twelve months.

Hopefully this list will help you start off the new year with a strong makeup collection and inspiration to try something new.  After a grueling year of studying and an endless exam season, start January 2017 off right and treat yourself to a few of our beauty favourites from the last year! xo

Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer

This product creates such a smooth, hydrated base for foundation. The tropical scent is amazing and this product works miracles on dry, winter skin!

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

This product is perfect for a dewy, full coverage look. It looks natural on the skin and doesn’t give that mask appearance that many full coverage foundations create. I love this product for a night out or an event where flawless skin is a must.

Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream

This product is such a great staple for a regular, everyday makeup routine. It gives you flawless yet lightweight coverage and protects your skin with SPF 50+. This product is extremely hydrating, lasts all day, and is one of the best buildable coverage products in the market.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade

For a long time I only used eyeshadow to fill in my brows, but kept finding that halfway through the day most of the product had rubbed off. After doing a little research, I invested in this pomade and was super impressed! The texture is amazing for re-creating the look of real brow hairs and the longevity is outstanding.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette

This palette was all the rage in 2016 and I am definitely on the bandwagon. The colours in this palette are gorgeous and consist of warm toned neutrals and bronze shades. You can create such a variety of looks with this palette, the shadows are highly pigmented, and it is most definitely worth the splurge.

Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara

This is a returning favourite of mine and I’m so happy to share it once again! This mascara creates the most amazing fanned out effect on the lashes and provides amazing length and volume without being clumpy.

Becca Champagne Pop Shimmering Skin Perfector

This was my Holy Grail highlighter in 2016. It was sold out everywhere for the longest time and I can totally see why once I got my hands on it! The shimmer is finely milled to avoid the look of chunky glitter and I love the champagne sheen this product gives to the face.

Real Techniques Miracle Sponge

For part of 2016, I was an avid beauty blender fan. Honestly I still love the Beauty Blender, but I truly could not justify the price and how frequently it needed to be replaced. The Real Techniques sponge is a perfect dupe for the Beauty Blender at a fraction of the cost and I LOVE the flat edge of the sponge for blending in foundation.

Happy New Year, collegiettes! Make the most of 2017 and pick up a few of our favourites to start off the year with a little more sparkle. xo

Olivia Di Pede

Wilfrid Laurier

Olivia is a fourth year English major with the Management Option at Wilfrid Laurier University and a Style Blogger for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found taking yoga classes, scavenging Sephora and creating content for her personal lifestyle blog. She is a perpetual reader, frequent dancer and lover of the sea. Follow her on instagram @oliviadipede and follow her journey at http://oliviadipede.com