This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There are 15,000 students at Laurier and it feels like literally every one of us tries to get a spot in the Concourse. But why? It’s a loud, overcrowded social area with lobby music playing in the background that is absolutely soul sucking.  There’s never going to be enough room, and there will never be enough charging outlets…and don’t get me started on the Starbucks line. Let’s not kid ourselves, it’s not an ideal place to study.

Here I’m going to give you some A+ alternative study spots that will get you out and about!

1. For the avid coffee enthusiast – Settlement Co.

This hidden Uptown gem has anyone instantly in love with the atmosphere; a modern loft feel with a mix of nature and a lot of space for customers too as there are  bar stools, traditional tables and chairs, and stair steps! The noise level is fair too, which I feel is good for reading.

There is an abundance of outlets throughout, as well as these wireless charging stations which require you to download the app and place your phone at a specific location to charge. Coffee is roasted in town and this unique experience is hard to come across at many places. Grab yourself a large French press and settle in!

2. For the cash conscious caffeine connoisseur – Tim Horton’s

Just a five-minute stroll from campus, this place speaks to the budgeted spender. With a cozy, charming atmosphere, unlimited yet free Wi-Fi featuring a variety of seating from couches to chairs all by a fireplace (mmm warm), it makes for a great study place!  Although both the music and conversing get loud at times, this shop tunes down in the later hours, and let me remind you it never closes! Good atmosphere, good location, good service and good food/drinks… it’s a win!

3. For the stress-eater – Williams Coffee Pub

Located in the University Plaza, this student friendly space remains open until 1 am. Copious tables throughout, great drinks, and good food all at a low prices makes for the ideal study quarters during those bottomless tummy times. With free Wi-Fi just bring your laptop and you’re set! It’s a great place to stay awhile, and if the munchies didn’t curb the stress, treat yourself to a much-deserved beer. It is, after all, called a “pub” for a reason!

4. Best of Uptown – DVLB

Located Uptown, Death Valley’s Little Brother is always full of students and young professionals so firing up the laptop here won’t look out of the ordinary.  The dim ambience is just top notch; the hipster-like vibe is quite cozy indeed. With an array of large communal tables, bar space along the front window and individuals tables, this place aims to please.  The beverage selection is second to no other coffee shop, the dessert coffees are incredible, and the snacks and pastries are rich and delicious. The only downside is that it’s quite expensive… and seats near outlets are more valuable than gold, but if you can get one, it’s the perfect little study nook!

5. When you just want to studyYour Place

Distractions of home paired with roommates are inevitable to avoid which makes this a seemingly impossible option. However, sometimes the mission in finding the perfect study spot outweighs what’s important here – actually studying! Generous electrical outlets, “free food”, fresh caffeine, open endlessly for operation: give your place a shot!

Happy studying!

Photo Credits:

@_settlementco, Tim Horton’s via Facebook, @valarietam, @gabrielcruickshank, WordPress.com

Gabriella Leitao

Wilfrid Laurier

Hi! I'm Gabriella Leitao and I'm a third year student at Wilfrid Laurier University majoring in Communications with minors in Religion and Cultural Studies. The only thing I love more than writing is froyo... and acai bowls... and Netflix... and boys who are good at winking. I am a huge Ed Sheeran fan, always lost in a crowd, and I'm essentially an insomniac who takes sporadic naps. I am addicted to filling up my cart online shopping and then realizing I am a broke university student and closing out the page. My greatest talent in life is being able to move my nostrils and eyebrows in rhythm ... my parents are very proud of me, as you can imagine. Hit me up on the Insta: @lilgabsss & the Twitter-sphere: @l1lgabsss (sometimes I'm witty)
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.