Shopping in The Tall Section: Jeans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

So, you’ve been born over the average height range. Good for you! You’re destined for a life of  kicking the end of the bed frame, an overwhelming amount of WNBA jokes, and oh how can we forget – shopping in the tall section. Where is this magical, mythical “tall section” you ask?  Well even I still struggle with that question. Throughout my life growing up in Toronto, I have yet to come across many stores that were accommodating to “my kind”. Brands such as Rock and Republic and 7 For All Mankind offer styles in a longer length, but I was looking for jeans that did not have to be considered “an investment”.  Most stores would only carry up to 34” length pants and with the introduction of that dreaded Ankle Jean fad hemlines just kept getting shorter and shorter. Thankfully, in my 21 years of experience I have mastered where and when to shop for longer length pants that have countered the stress associated with Spring and Summer fashions (aka non-boot season) without spending a month’s rent.

1)  TopShop – A store only recently introduced to the Bay in the Yorkdale and Eaton’s Centre Shopping Centre’s in Toronto. This store is a rare breed of awesome as they include a Tall section in each of their stores. They carry many options of jeans, cords, jeggings, high waisted black plants and longer length shirts to fit most taller heights. The pants each have a 36” inseam and a mid-rise, and in the summer they offer a selection of shorts with longer lengths to accommodate long legs.

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=7608523&langId=-1&sort_field=Newness&categoryId=208535&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=20

2)  American Eagle – American Eagle is an inexpensive American retail store that sells casual shirts, pants and outerwear. The selection in store offers several of their popular jean styles in 36” lengths, however online at www.ae.com they have much more selection in X-LONG lengths. The shipping to Canada is still $15, however it is a small price to pay for the reliable service and low prices to begin with.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?productId=0431_7680_964&catId=cat90120

3)  Gap – Similar to American Eagle, Gap offers many of their popular styles in store in LONG length and many more are available online. I was disappointed to discover how many more options there were for our tall American counterparts both online and in store, so sometimes I will splurge for the extra shipping for that perfect ripped skinny jean only available in the states. If you do not want to spend the extra time and money on American shipping, the everyday blue “Always Skinny” style is usually a safe bet for long lengths.

http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/division.do?cid=85035

4)  Old Navy – At an even lower price point than the past two, I was shocked to discover that OldNavy.ca offered 36” inseams on a few of their styles, most notably the Rockstar Super Skinny Jean. Once again, the U.S. website carries many more options, but I did find the perfect pair of the perfect black “going out” jean for only $34.99 on the Canadian website.

http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=87172&pid=730770&vid=1&scid=329670013

Alix Gropper is a student currently in her fourth year of an Honors Specialization in Media Information and Technoculture at Western University. She has a keen interest and experience in Public Relations and Advertising and is an avid reader of all things entertainment. As an emerging rapper/foodie/professional-tv-marathon-ist, Alix’s eclectic background of tastes gives her plenty to write about. In her spare time Alix can be found collecting large numbers of completely impractical fall jackets and plotting ways to return to Tel Aviv University, a place she left her heart in last semester while studying abroad.
Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.