The Many Thoughts I Had While Waiting For The Kylie Jenner Lip Kit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

A little birdie (@trendmood1 Instagram – they post the latest makeup news) told me that the Kylie Jenner Lip Kit would be restocked on Monday at 7p.m. EST, so naturally, I planned my entire day around making sure that I would have no distractions, except refreshing her website, at that time.

I’m not proud to admit it, but I desperately want that lip kit. Not that there’s anything wrong with my own lips, however, any girl would be lying if they said they weren’t a little bit jealous of Kylie’s perfect pout. Even though I know that her’s were only achieved though plastic surgery…. which costs more than my rent… I’m buying into the consumerism that her $29 product will give me lips that at least resemble hers.

Now, this hasn’t been my first attempt at the coveted lipstick. Every single time that she has released them, I have unsuccessfully attempted to purchase at least one. During my last attempt, I managed to put them into my cart, but my the time I had finished filling out my shipping information, I got the notification that the products were already sold out. In my head, all I could imagine was Kylie saying #SorryNotSorry as she laughed about the millions of dollars she just made in under a minute… 

This time, I decided to be smart. I already had my shipping and billing information filled out, and notifications set on her Instagram page (@kyliecosmetics) in case she decided to release them a bit early.

What can I say, I really hate losing?

5:00pm – My classes end for the day. I decide to stay on campus, knowing that I have a good wifi signal.

6:00pm –  Impatiently waiting, I try to think of an activity that will make the time go quicker, yet won’t distract me enough to make me miss when the clock hits exactly 7:00pm.

6:10pm – I decide to chronicle my process. While admitting the measures that I have gone though to get a lip kit will probably convince 99% of people that I’m crazy, it might give some good advice to those who are equally as desperate for it.

6:11pm – I’m worried that the people who I’m giving this advice to will one day beat me in the race to get a new lip kit.

6:32pm – I’m debating whether or not to purchase True Brown K, since its notorious for being the last colour to sell out.

6:35pm – After a few google searches, I have determined that if I wear True Brown K, I will look like a slightly more terrifying, adult version of myself when I was three and posed for all my birthday photos with chocolate cake all over my face (thanks mom).

*  Note: this is only because I’m so pale, I can barely find my shade of foundation. This probably isn’t a problem for you, so I encourage you to rock this colour.

6:48pm – I already loaded up the site (http://shop.kyliecosmetics.com/), it has a message that they are currently sold out and restocking the product.

6:49pm – In panic, I search whether this message shows up right after they sell out of products or right before they release them. Turns out its the latter, I let out the breath I’m embarrassingly holding in.

6:52pm – I try to find out if my computer is set to the exact right time. The difference between 6:58pm and 6:59pm is basically a matter of life and death.

6:54pm – I refresh the page for the first time. Last time I refreshed it so many times, it ended up as one of my top results on the homepage of Google Chrome. My boyfriend relentlessly made fun of me for about a week.

6:55pm – I’m regretting that coffee that I finished way too quickly. Its definitely too late to go to the washroom now.

6:56pm – I plug my computer in even though its at 39%… just in case.

6:58pm – I think about all the other girls who are in the exact same situation as me. I get a flashback to the beginning of my middle school cross country races.

7:00pm – I keep automatically refreshing the page, with no luck.

7:01pm – They’re up! I’m now thankful for the coffee that I drank as I put Candy K, Poise K, Mary Jo K and 22 in my cart.

7:01:30pm – I snap out of Kylie Dreamland for a second and realize that as exciting as it is to get all of them into my cart, they still do cost real money (oops).

7:02pm – I take Mary Jo K out of my cart, and instantly worry that in the two seconds it took for me to do so, the other colours might have sold out.

7:03pm – I put in all of my information (even though I had thought I had outsmarted them by putting it in before, Kylie makes you put it in again – smart move, Jenner, you win this one).  When I press the ‘order’ button, there’s a problem. Too many people are trying to use the site at the same time, and its being overused.

7:04pm – I keep refreshing the site, praying that my card isn’t going to get charged ten times (after I’m done I should probably phone the bank) – I have no confirmation email, so I doubt any of my tries have actually gone through.

7:05pm – I finally got through! The email confirms that I am the proud owner of three new lip kits. I immediately want to tell someone, but I’m in a library full of strangers, my mom has no idea who Kylie Jenner is, and my boyfriend will just make fun of me for being so excited. I decide to fuel my energy into what I am now referring to as my ‘Captain’s Log’. 

7:11pm – Feeling a little remorseful, I check website to see if Mary Jo K is still available. It is, and I’m a littleshocked that it, as two of the other ones are still in stock as well. Previously, they had all sold out in under a minute.

7:22pm – All but one are now sold out. I feel a little bit bad that I went all – out trying to get them, as I could have waited a little bit, but I’m still ecstatic. Its now going to be an incredibly painful 10 – 15 days of waiting until I finally have them.

Amanda is a National Intern, Style and Beauty Blogger and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. She is doing a double major in criminology and sociology at Western University. She is a proud member of Alpha Gamma Delta - Zeta Chi chapter, and makes 99% of her decisions based off of WWEWD (what would Elle Woods Do?). Follow her on instagram @amanda_h_jones, and listen to her talk about makeup *a bit* more than usual at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-7cOzh_oI&t=237s
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.