At Home Spa Treatments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

9 a.m. exams, 8 hour study sessions at Weldon and 4 hours of sleep can take a toll on your mind, body and spirit. Crammed with all those formulas and facts, with little sleep and endless exposure to Weldon’s grey walls, your mind and body could do with some relaxation. Normally this would be the perfect time for someone to give you a spa day present, but instead of waiting for that special someone to read your mind, why not create the same experience at home? This week we’ll be giving you delicious and incredible spa-worthy recipes for your face, body and hair so that you can get back to tackling those exams feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

Face
Start your mini-spacation with any one of these easy and  refreshing face masks.

To help fight breakouts – The Strawberry Mask
You will need:
1 Egg white
3 or 4 Large strawberries, hulled 
1 Tablespoon honey 
1 Tablespoon fine cornmeal

Beat egg white in a bowl until frothy then blend strawberries and honey. Add blended mixture andcornmeal to egg white and mix. Apply to wet, clean face and leave on for twenty minutes then rinse.

Soothing mask for oily skin – Avocado Mask
You will need:
1/2 avocado 
1 tablespoon yogurt
1 egg white
1/3 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix all ingredient in a bowl and apply to damp skin. Leave on for ten to fifteen minutes then rinse.

For glowing skin: Banana Scrub
You will need:                                                                            Image Source:http://www.beauty-advices.com
1 tablespoon oats (not instant)
1 teaspoon yogurt 
1/2 banana 

Use a blender to grind the oats then add the banana and yogurt and blend into a paste. Dampen your face with warm water and gently massage the scrub on your face, you can also use this on your neck and chest. Leave on for one to three minutes then rinse.

[pagebreak]

Body

After a soothing face mask, it’s time to pamper your body. Start with this incredible sugar scrub thatleaves your skin super soft:

Sugar Scrub
You will need:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raw oatmeal
1 cup olive oil

Mix all the ingredients together and then apply on dry skin, using your hands. Apply this all over your body in slow circles. After scrubbing gently all over, step into the shower and rinse off.                Image Source:http://www.rtroncampus.com

In-Home Sauna                                                               
To create a more spa-like environment, turn your shower into a sauna. Turn your shower to its hottest temperature and leave it on for about 20 minutes. While your bathroom fills with steam, take a washcloth and spray it with your favorite scented oil – lavender, rosemary or vanilla are great de-stressing scents. When you step into your bath, put the washcloth up to your face and take a deep breath of your soothing scent – it’s a great way to de-stress and it helps clear up sinuses.

[pagebreak]

Bath
Light some candles, throw in some rose petals for good measure and you’ve got yourself the best at-home spa experience! A glass of wine and the latest issue of Vogue don’t hurt either!

Blissful Rose Water Bath:
You will need:
2 cups Epsom salt
4-5 drops Rose essential Oil, or as much as you want
Petals from one rose

Mix Epsom salt with the rose essential oil in bowl, then add the scented salt mixture to a hot running bath; scatter rose petals in the water, get in and relax.

[pagebreak]

After Bath Treatment
After a relaxing bath, slather on some of this lotion that’s perfect for dry skin:

Coconut and Rosemary Lotion

You will need:
1/2 cut base lotion
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon avocado oil
10 drops rosehip oil 

Mix all of the ingredients together for a soothing cream.

Sources:
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/skin-care-makeup/home-spa-treatment-recipe#slide-5

Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.