HC Abroad: Bon Voyage!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

With a semester of traveling under my belt and a Christmas break of more vacation hot on its heels, I’ve been reminiscing about my European trips this year. I’ve had so many great experiences it’s hard to narrow them down. Below are just a few highlights and my “must-sees”… so far.

Monaco

While Monaco is beautiful and exotic, it can easily be done in a day or two at most, as there’s not much to do for those who are not rich and famous. Monaco-Ville and Monte Carlo are both interesting, and the Japanese Gardens and the Hotel de Paris were highlights for me in Monte Carlo. It’s completely surreal to see Lamborghinis and Ferraris rolling up to the casino as if it were an everyday occurrence… and for them, it likely is.

Cassis

While it’s a small city and doesn’t boast huge shopping centers or famous museums, it does have an amazing beach and really beautiful landscapes. Whether you’re laying out in the sand or hiking to the Calanques (gorgeous inlets with mountaintop views), you’re sure to be blown away by the natural beauty of the Cote d’Azur.

Arles

If you’re more interested in history and architecture, Arles is a beautiful Provence town that you must visit. There are several ruins, including an amphitheater and theater. Playing and running around some ancient ruins provides inspiration and perspective that’s hard to find elsewhere. Also check out the town hall and some churches – they’re gorgeous.

[pagebreak]

St-Maries-de-la-Mer

This is another beautiful coastal town, but it has an incredibly different culture than Cassis. There is an amazing history behind the town’s name, involving Saint Sarah, which makes St-Maries-de-la-Mer the destination of an annual Gypsy pilgrimage. The wildlife is amazing (and surprising); you’ll see the regional Camargue horses and cows, as well as flamingoes! Plus, this region is France’s equivalent to “Cowboy Country” – walking along the streets you’ll see many vendors selling cowboy boots and gear.

Chalon-sur-Saône

I spent a week here during the October Toussaint holiday, relaxing and wandering the streets. There is a variety of interesting museums and architecture to see here, like St. Vincent’s Cathedral, the Nicephore Niepce Museum, the Old Hospital, and the Chalon School Museum. Chalon is also very centrally located to visit chateaux, which is a must-do in France. I also highly recommend checking out the many gardens, and taking a long walk out to the Parc de Loisirs. It’s beautiful!

Avignon

This city is famous for good reason: it’s beautiful, rich in cultural flavour, and has something for everyone. You have to visit the bridge – it’s practically a requirement – and there are lots of other museum/monument type things if you’re a history buff (the Palais de Papes is neat and has lots of backstory!). I visited at Christmastime and their Christmas market is amazing. However, my favourite part of my day here was just walking along the streets: there are beautiful surprises everywhere you turn.

Espelkamp

This is a tiny town in Germany, and the only reason I ever would have heard of it was because one of my best friends took me to her home here for Christmas. It’s definitely not a tourist town and there’s not many “attractions,” but I had the best time living life like a German and exploring the countryside. If you’re looking for a quiet, quaint, relaxing location to dip your toes into everyday Germany, this is for you.

You can probably tell from these pictures, but I’m a bit of a nature lover – probably because it usually either a) is very different from home, or b) reminds me of home. I think getting out and exploring the landscape is one of the best parts about travelling.

If you’re interested in following more of my study abroad adventures, hop on over to bonjourprovence.wordpress.com and take a look at my personal travel blog!

Kaitlyn is a 20-year-old third-year student at the University of Western Ontario, currently studying abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France, at Aix-Marseille University. She is majoring in English Literatureand is currently the copy editor for College Gloss and a blogger for the UWO Arts & Humanities student blog. Kaitlyn hopes to do a Masters degree in English Literature and one day work in publishing. Aside from being obsessed with the written word, Kaitlyn enjoys running, sailing, travelling, and making music (she plays both the piano and flute). She's looking forward to making new connections and getting lots of experience working with Her Campus!
Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.