5 DIY Hairstyles for this Spring Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

We all know spring is coming and what better way to ensure a dazzling spring look than with a new hairdo. These are 5 DIY hot hairstyles for this spring season.

1.Chalking
Popping up all across blogs, Facebook, magazines and even at some local hair salons, this new form of colouring hair without the damage and expense has been coming to my attention more and more. Chalking, which is exactly what you are thinking of, is when you take the ends of your hair and literally chalk them with as many different colours as you would like. I know it seems crazy, but this is something that is easy and inexpensive and can change your look in just minutes. 

Remember! Twist the hair as you chalk. The texture from twisting makes the chalk release more pigment. Always brush the excess powder out after chalking each piece. If you’re blonde or you 
have blonde tips, DO NOT wet your hair before chalking; it will stain if you do because adding water to pure pigment creates a real dye. If you’re okay with the staining for several washes then go for it! If you’re looking to do color for the day, do not add water at any time. If your hair color is anything darker than blonde and you don’t have blonde tips, you’ll NEED the water. Doubling the pigment is what will help 

the colors to show up on darker hair. Mist a little water on the strand with a spray bottle, then chalk it up! It won’t stain darker hair the same way it will on lighter hair. Red heads– try it without water and if it’s just not showing up, add a little water. It just depends on how light or dark 
your red is.

Image Source:http://hairstylistblogger.blogspot.ca/2011/11/

Use only “soft pastels”. These are our all time faves; Senellier brand pastels have the brightest and most intense pay off. They’re nearly $4 per piece at Blick (a store in the states which you can order from or at any art store around you) which seems a little expensive, but so is hair color– and hair color removal. Regular chalk doesn’t work the same. Don’t get “soft chalk” pastels confused for oil pastels. If you’re confused, ask a sales person. Removing oil pastels would be a nightmare, not to mention, they’d feel very sticky. You can also youtube it so that you know exactly what you are doing! 

[pagebreak]

2.Waterfall Braids
 This has been circling for a while and is definitely going to be a key look for this spring season. You can mix it up with having it only on one side of your hair or having it on both sides. Or, if you are really adventurous and are up for the challenge you can zig-zag it all down the back of your hair. This is a really easy to do hairstyle and there are many youtube videos to help you along the way. Here is an awesome website to get detailed steps on how to complete this look!
http://www.beautylish.com/a/vmswj/cascade-braid-tutorial

Step 1:
Section off your hair and French Braid. Braid your strands regularly three times, beginning from the
right strand. When you get to the left strand (the part closest to the middle of the scalp), add more hair to it like a French braid and fold that strand to the center
Step 2:
Drop the Strand, but careful, this is when it gets a little difficult. After you’ve French braided your left strand (now center), drop the right strand and let it fall down. Pick up another small section of hair next to where your original strand fell—that’s your new right strand. Braid it into your style as usual and repeat this process.
Step 3:
Repeat this moving toward the middle of your head.
Step 4:
Once you have reached a point in your hair where you feel it will be comfortable, you can pin it, or you can braid it down and then put and elastic at the bottom. I suggest fish tailing (after you have pinned it for some support) as it will add an extra flare to this hair style.
Step 5:
(Optional) Add some accessories, a cute flower, maybe a bow to complete this look.
There are a lot of different ways you can play with this style so just go for it and have fun with it!

[pagebreak]

3. The Bow Bun
This might look hard, but it is easy to do and can make any outfit look cute! Pair this with a cute pink
dress and some wedges and you are spring ready. You can do this look many different ways, so for less confusion, I would suggest youtubing it to get the desired technique so that you are more comfortable with doing it on your own. The bow bun looks great with any hair style, but it looks especially great with bangs! To make yourself look even springier, add a cute tie headband to the mix! Here is a great link to get this look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MWqyGtzclQ.

Image Source:http://www.onewed.com/wedding-hair-styles/gallery/wedding-hairstyle-how-to-bow-bun-updo

[pagebreak]

4.The Messy Bun
This has always been a trend, but messy buns are absolutely a staple of a cute spring updo! Messy buns are very easy to do and there are many different ways to do them. You can use bobby pins to create the updo, just a pony tail or two or possibly a fashionable scrunchie. Here is one of my favourite ways to get this look:

Step 1:
Depending on how long your hair it you can style the bun on the top of your head, towards the bottom or to the side (which is extremely wonderful).
Step 2:

Bring your hair into a pony tail. If you like super high ones (like I do) be sure to have your pony high up and tie your hair elastic tight.
Step 3:
Use bobby pins to twist and pin the pieces of your hair around the base of the pony tail
Step 4:
Use a lot of bobby pins so that it does not fall out! Arrange it to the way you like it, and the spray it for the finish!

You can wear it high, low or to the side. To do the low or the side look, just make your ponytail wherever you want to get your desired look. Shake it up and add cute accessories such as a pin in bow or a headband—it never hurts to add accessories.

[pagebreak]

5.The Beach Waves
Some people might argue that this is for summer, but I argue that this is for all seasons. This hairstyle
is something that can be worn and rocked throughout the entire year, so would it not be a cute hot spring style? This hairstyle is easy to do, but if you want it to be perfect it does take some time.

One way you can get this look is by sleeping with a messy bun in your hair. This time just take one pony tail and gather your hair into a bun, making sure that all the hair is entrapped within the elastic. When you wake up, style it how you want it and voila, you have effortless beachy waves.

Of course there are many other ways that you can achieve this. If you have thin hair, a good idea would be to divide your hair into 6 equal sections and braid each one. Then take your flat iron and iron over top of them two or three times (more if you do not think it will work) hair spraying at the end. When you are done doing this, take out the braids and there you have it, some nice beachy waves! I do not recommend this for thick hair as it won’t be as successful.

Image Source: http://hairhead.tumblr.com/

Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.