4 Steps to Doing Singles Valentine’s Day the RIGHT Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

To all my single friends out there, this one’s for you!  Valentine’s Day is an extremely overrated holiday, and there have only been two years where I’ve actually celebrated it with a significant other.  Although I am in a relationship now, I have gone through plenty of Valentine’s Days as my solo self and would you look at that — I’m still alive.  Instead of focusing on the fact that you do not have a significant other, you can definitely use this day to appreciate yourself and think about how much your friends and family appreciate you.  Spend Valentine’s Day with a friend instead!  This year my boyfriend will be in Cuba so that’s what I will be doing, and it’s still going to be a great time.

Step 1: Look Hot as Hell

Put on your favourite outfit and stare at yourself in the mirror for 5 minutes because you look good.  Regardless of what your plans are for the day, it is scientifically proven that we feel better when we look good, so why not put that to the test?  Maybe try actually brushing your hair today.  Be HAPPY with and CONFIDENT in your body.  Regardless if you’re staying in and having a wine night with some friends or going out on the town, looking good will give you the confidence you need to have a fun valentines day.  Maybe even eat healthy the week leading up to it so that you can splurge a bit on some chocolate or a nice dinner.

Step 2: Buy Wine

This step is pretty self-explanatory.  Having a glass with dinner is known to be good for you, however, if you have a whole bottle that rule no longer applies.  Invite some friends over to share it with and turn it into a fun girls night.  You’ll totally forget that you’re lacking a significant other on this overrated day when you’re surrounded by a great support system of your best friends.

Step 3: Make Dinner Plans

Everything is always better with food.  Having plans will increase your excitement for the day because you’ll have something to look forward to.  Whether you pick out a fancy restaurant and make a reservation for you and a couple friends to treat yourself, or take a swing at some recipes on Pinterest, your mind will be focusing on food and not on relationships.  If you make some recipes from Pinterest, invite a friend over and impress them with your excellent cooking skills!

Step 4: Accept Your Status

Let’s face it, you’re not going to be alone forever.  As much as you’re over hearing your family members tell you the same thing at family gatherings, it’s the truth.  There is definitely someone out there for you, even if it does’nt seem like it right now.  Having to be patient sucks, which is why I have provided you with three other things to distract you throughout the process.  At some point you will find someone, so embrace being single and make it a good time!

My name is Brooke Horrobin and I'm going into my 4th year at UWO. I'm pursuing a bachelor degree with a major in Political Science and a minor in Health Science. I love writing and social media. I'm hoping to pursue a future career in human resources or public relations. I love writing about things that a lot of others can relate to. I have a strong interest in fashion and the college life in general.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!