6 Ways to Clear Your Mind for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Finals period seems to take over college students’ lives, making it difficult for us to think about anything else. While studying for hours and hours on end may seem like the best way to go, it’s both healthy and productive for students to take breaks to clear their minds and do something that they enjoy. Here are seven ways to clear your mind and take it easy amidst those brutal study marathons.

1.Go for a walk or run in Forest Park: Spring has sprung and we should all be taking advantage of the beautiful weather. I know St. Louis weather can be quite unpredictable, but on those sunny days with a calm breeze, take a jog or stroll through Forest Park for an hour or so. If you’re looking for a social break, take a friend or two!

2.Read a non-academic book: Curl up in a comfy chair and open a new book! Letting yourself get lost in an exciting fictional novel or maybe an intriguing autobiography will help you to take your mind off of academics for a bit.

3.Bake with your friends: Be productive during your break by baking up some study snacks with your buds! What’s better than having warm cookies to take to the Olin cubicles? You will be worshipped (if you share, that is).

4.Doodle: Let your mind run free and draw whatever comes to you, whether it is a collection of weird squiggle lines or your attempt at drawing a dog. Sometimes an artistic release is the best way to let loose, even if it’s far from Picasso.

5.Go for a drive: I personally love driving around town when I just need to get out of the library or my room. Blasting your favorite music and obnoxiously singing along is definitely necessary.

6. Download new music: Finding new music can really boost my mood and give me more energy to study. When I listen to the same songs over and over, studying can seem even more droning and repetitive than it really is. A new playlist can help to bring you right out of that funk! If you don’t like to listen to music while you do work, give yourself a 30-minute break to relax, shut your eyes, and enjoy some new tunes. If you need a few tips on making your new playlist, check out my article, The 5 Best Sites for Finding New Music!

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.