5 Must-See Netflix Documentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

1.  Blackfish

seaworldofhurt.com

If you haven’t seen Blackfish you are really missing out. Blackfish is a documentary that focuses on the sea-park industry, and dives into Sea World and where one specific orca, Tilikum, lived. It deals with the deaths of these sea animals and the way they are treated in the zoo environment. It’s really sad and moving, and also extremely well-made. I highly recommend it.

2. Amanda Knox

media4.s-nbcnews.com

This Netflix Documentary was released on September 10th. For those who don’t know, Amanda Knox was an American studying at the University of Washington when she took a semester off to study in Italy. She was tried for the murder of her roommate, Meredith Kercher. The documentary looks at the intricacies of the case.  

3. Making a Murderer

blogs-images.forbes.com

This is a 10-part documentary series that follows the trail of Steven Avery, a man accused of raping and killing a woman named Teresa Halbach. Steven was falsely convicted of rape years earlier and was later proven innocent. I recommend it if you are interested in murder trials. I really enjoyed it.

4. Exit Through the Gift Shop

static1.squarespace.com

Although I haven’t personally seen this documentary, I hear it’s amazing. It’s a story of a man looking for an infamous graffiti artist named Banksy.

5. Finding Vivian Maier

i.ytimg.com

I haven’t seen this documentary either but it received a 95% on rotten tomatoes, so I’m sure It’s amazing. This documentary is about the life and work of nanny Vivian Maier and her collection of 100,000 photographs.

Lizzie is a sophomore, majoring in Film and Poli Sci at Wash U. She loves sloths, pizza, Tina Fey, and pizza!