Guide to Rain Boots: The 6Cs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

For a moment, it seemed like the rainy season (梅雨tsuyu) had ended with the amount of sunshine we got last week. Unfortunately, weather forecasts predict that gloomy days are here to stay until the end of June. (Thunderstorms are even forecasted for this week!) This spells inconvenience – don’t we all hate that irksome and uncomfortable feeling of humidity, wet shoes, wet clothes, wet everything and also that cumbersome dripping wet umbrella!! Before you get too distressed, we recommend that you invest in a sturdy pair of rain boots. These rubber babies are so functional, and you can wear them rain or shine! Admittedly, it can be a pain to style them sometimes. Fret not. Check out our 6Cs on how to style them rain boots! 

1.    The ClassicOn a drizzly summer day, the last thing you want when you wake up late for school (it happens, and it’s all the rain’s fault) is to have to fret over what to pair your rain boots with. Jeans are the ultimate wardrobe classic! The only thing better than jeans are skinny jeans. Word. Knee-high boots or not, you’ll still impress that cutie in class!

2.    Keep it CasualThink denim shorts, overalls, rompers, crop tops. Throw in a light fabric outer wear such as a cardigan, a thin parka or a light jacket to complete a simple yet put together look!

3.    Stay ChicWho says you have to compromise sophistication for rubber boots? You don’t have to dress down for that pair of rain boots! Try matching your rain boots with a dress or skirt. You can even throw on an elegant trench coat or a blazer for a chic and polished style.

4.    Comfort is keyBring the high school knee-high socks back! Not only are they super comfortable, they keep your legs warm and dry on chilly rainy days. Complete an effortlessly stylish look with sweater and shorts! Quick, easy and comfy. Perfect for a lazy rainy day!

5.    Miss CutieBrighten up your otherwise dreary day by playing with the color and design of your rain boots!

While black may be versatile, a pair of fun-colored boots such as magenta, bright purple or neon yellow definitely screams “cute”!

Stand out from the crowd with a pair of boots with repeated prints! (Just make sure you stay away from childish patterns that belong in a kindergartener’s wardrobe!)

You can even make your own DIY patterned rain boots! Find out how here!

Unknot that cloudy day brow with a bow on your rain boots!

6.    Be ClearThe sky might not be clear but your boots can definitely be! Transparent rain boots may sound strange but these unique boots are sure to make an immediate fashion statement and turn heads on streets! 

Remember: no matter the weather, bring your own sunshine (and an umbrella)! Stay dry and warm this rainy season collegiettes, and don’t let the rain bring you down!

Shu Shien is a sophomore at School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda Unviersity.