Career Chic: The Career Fair is Over. What Now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Hi, collegiettes!

I don’t know about you all, but my feet are finally recovering from last week’s Career Fair. I think I’m down to only one Band-Aid® on one of my feet right now. It turns out my most comfortable black pumps aren’t so comfortable after three straight hours of walking and standing! My feet hurt almost as much as if I spent the day exploring Paris (see below).

Hopefully you’ve sorted through your bag of swag and started reflecting on the information you gained from talking with recruiters at the Fair. You may be wondering what you’re supposed to do next, and I’ve got some good news for you! You’ve got options! Here they are…

1. Send thank you notes. Send a handwritten thank you note to each representative you met. Ideally, you want to do this within 24-48 hours. I realize we’re waaaay past that point now, but send thank you notes if you haven’t already done so anyways. Include relevant information from your conversation and express interest in reconnecting with the representative/company the next time they’re on campus.

2. Follow directions. If you met with any representatives who had action items or follow up steps for you, make sure you take care of them ASAP. Check DeaconSource for any updates.

3. Follow up. Although you sent thank you notes, call each of the representatives about two weeks after the Career Fair to restate your interest in both the company and an interview — that date is Wednesday, October 1st! You may also want to consider connecting with recruiters on LinkedIn.

4.: Put on your patient hat. The job search process can be lengthy sometimes. That’s why it’s called a process! Hiring will often take longer than you may expect, so be aware that there are short term leads and long term leads.

5. Reflect. What went well at the Career Fair? What would you do differently? What did you learn about yourself from this experience? What did you learn about potential employers? How can this be helpful to you as you prepare for your next steps?

6. Plan. What are your next steps in the job/internship process? Begin making an action plan to help get there. On your action plan, include the following: people you can contact about potential job/internship opportunities, clubs or organizations you can become involved in to gain experience, and where you would like to have a job/internship. Visit the OPCD website or come in for an appointment to talk more about your action plan!

Stay Chic,

Jessica

Jessica Long is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Assistant Director of Career & Professional Development in the Office of Personal and Career Development (OPCD) at Wake Forest University. She is a Demon Deacon graduate, and has been empowering collegiettes and Campus Cuties across the state of North Carolina for nine years. She is a firm believer in the power of a good pencil skirt, an aspiring crafter, and has a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies. Feel free to contact her with comments or questions at longjw@wfu.edu. Get connected with ways to stay fabulous after college by following WFU OPCD on Facebook and Twitter.

Jessica Long

Wake Forest

Jessica Long is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Assistant Director of Career & Professional Development in the Office of Personal and Career Development (OPCD) at Wake Forest University. She is a Demon Deacon graduate, and has been empowering Collegiettes and Campus Cuties across the state of North Carolina for 9 years. She is a firm believer in the power of a good pencil skirt, is an aspiring crafter, and has a serious weakness for chocolate chip cookies. Feel free to contact her with comments or questions at longjw@wfu.edu. Get connected with ways to stay fabulous after college by following WFU OPCD on facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.