Kenneth Horan ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is a guy that knows his music and lyrics.  Meet Kenneth Horan, a Mechanical Engineer who would rather be listening to The Avett Brothers than have his head buried in textbooks.

Name:Kenneth Horan

Year: Let’s say I’m a junior.

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Relationship status: Very single

Her Campus Virginia Tech: Describe your personality in one word:Kenneth Horan:  Proficient.

HCVT:  What do you do in your free time?
KH: Run and listen to music—that pretty much covers it.

HCVT:  How would you describe your music taste?
KH:  Impeccable…seriously though, I like a lot of different styles of rock that I could put into three categories.  First, acoustic/Americana/folk influenced musicians, such as Ryan Adams and The Avett Brothers.  Next, would be guitar heavy, classic style blues, such as The Black Keys.  Thirdly, would be Indie, nothing crazy or obscure though—Vampire Weekend, Spoon and Arcade Fire are some of my favorites.

HCVT:  What are the 5 most recent songs you’ve listened to on iTunes?
KH:

1. “Able”—NEEDTOBREATHE
  2. “We Used to Vacation”—Cold War Kids
  3. “The Girl”—City and Colour
  4. “Little Black Dress”—Honor By August (Get it on noisetrade.com)
  5. “Them Shoes”—Patrick Sweany

HCVT:  If you could pick one song as a favorite, what would it be and why?
KH:  Hardest question ever.  So I’m picking two—first, “Black Thumbnail”by Kings of Leon.  In my opinion, it’s a near perfect rock song.  It has every fundamental element of pure rock & roll and it’s done very well.  My second would be “The Perfect Space”by The Avett Brothers.  Lyrically, it’s just unbelievable.

HCVT:  Lyric wise, what would be one of your favorite lines in a song?
KH:  One line that has stuck with me for a long time is from the song “No Woman, No Cry” by Bob Marley—the line goes, “My feet is my only carriage, so I’ve got to push on through.”  To me, it means to stand tall, believe in what you are doing and endure whatever is thrown your way.

HCVT:  What’s the next concert you want to go to?
KH:  I’m very excited about seeing The Avett Brothers for the first time, in a few weeks.  I’m also excited about seeing Stephen Kellogg at the 930 Club.  Going to shows to hear live music is something I try to do as much as possible.  Stop listening to the radio and experience music in person, you’ll be surprised how many great bands and musicians are out there.

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!