5 Reasons Why You Should Subscribe to theSkimm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

As a college student, it is easy to live inside the Villanova bubble paying little attention to what is going on in the outside world.  However, it is important to be aware of what is going on in the news.  Luckily for us, theSkimm breaks down the news in a straightforward, entertaining and completely free email newsletter that is in your inbox every weekday morning.

Still not convinced?  As a Villanova Skimm’bassador, it is my job to share with you the many benefits of subscribing…

1)    You will quickly begin to feel more informed.

If you tend to be the person that asks questions like “Marco who?” or “Obama-what?”, then theSkimm is your new BFF.  After a few days of beginning your morning with theSkimm, you’ll start to have a better understanding for politics and current events in general.  The best part is that it’s only a five minute read. 

2)    The Presidential Election is coming up in 2016 – and you will have the opportunity to vote, possibly even for the first time.

theSkimm is an awesome resource during election season, providing helpful guides and links to websites that can help you understand each candidate’s ideas – and then decide how you will cast your ballot.  In the 2012 election, 45% of 18 to 29 year olds voted.  However, about 60% of Americans vote in each Presidential election.  Use theSkimm as a way to educate yourself.  Then, go out and embrace the right you were given in the Constitution.

3)    Employers appreciate when students are familiar with the news. 

One of the main points that professionals have made at Villanova networking events is how important it is to know what is going on in current events.  Students and employers alike have said that a question in an interview can often relate to something that just happened in the news, especially if something big just happened in the industry.  Whether you’re planning to go into finance or becoming a teacher, being aware of the news is important.

4)    theSkimm also includes reports of sports finals, big celebrity updates, and movie and book suggestions.

Are you the kind of person who thinks football is played on a court?  Did you have no idea Kim named her baby North?  You’re about to be saved by theSkimm, which will tell you which athlete’s names to drop and which movies were big hits at the Oscars.

5)    Believe it or not, the decisions the government makes are going to affect you after you graduate.

Scary, I know.  Sadly, graduation is inevitable and the decisions that our politicians make are going to affect us, especially when we leave Wildcat territory and head into the real world.  In fact, the Supreme Court is about to make some very big decisions, and there’s a Skimm Guide for that.

And if all of that isn’t enough to make you subscribe, theSkimm is super witty and a great way to have a laugh while sipping your coffee before your 8:30 class on a Monday.  What are you waiting for?  Subscribe here and Skimm away.

Elizabeth studies Political Science at Villanova University (Class of 2018).