Learning in Safe Spaces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Virginia Commonwealth University students interested in expanding their social awareness have the opportunity to take a new course, Learning in Safe Spaces, this semester.

Recently, VCU has seen an emergence of students pushing the university to act on their diversity claims. Many students have expressed displeasure over the superficial treatment of diversity within the university. This new class is meant to stimulate conversation and keep people talking about their experiences.

Recent graduate, Travis Ellison, attended the Perceived Threat forum organized by VCU alumnus Dorado Quick, as a student during the spring 2015 semester. During the forum a question emerged, “Every year a discriminatory party is held by a college organization or fraternity. What can be done to educate university students and administrations on the issues of these parties?” It was during this conversation that Ellison said he realized the potential for creating a class that would foster conversations about diversity and about these types of problems.

Percieved Threat panelists Dorado Quick (left), and Pastor Vernon Gordon (right) spring 2015 semester. (Photo by Travis Ellison)

Ellison said Charles Klink, Ph.D., and panelist Vernon Gordon from the Perceived Threat forum were instrumental in the early development of this course, but he really believes it was students who drove the development of the class. Ellison said student actions like the #VCUStandsWithMizzou rally and the student sit-in at the president’s office showed faculty that students were committed and serious about VCU making a change. Shortly after these events, Ellison found several members of the VCU faculty willing to help make this class a reality. Ultimately, it was Gardner Campbell, Dean of University College who told Ellison that VCU would be implementing the course for the spring semester.

VCU Police Chief John Venuti (left) and Dr. Charles Klink (center) in attendance at the #VCUStandsWithMizzou rally fall 2015. (Photo by Travis Ellison)

An email sent to students by Dr. Klink references this new course as an opportunity for students to “proactively discuss issues of diversity and inclusion.” Ellison hopes to see this course eventually expand beyond the VCU community, but for now he hopes that it will foster conversation between students and faculty alike both in and out of the classroom. He sees this class as an opportunity to take learning beyond the confines of the classroom walls and into daily life and current events.

More information regarding the course can be found here. Students interested in registering for this one credit course, Learning in Safe Spaces (UNIV 291-007) must register by 11:59 pm Jan. 26.

Jessica is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at VCU, a Chapter Advisor and a retired Campus Expansion Assistant. She will graduate in May 2017, earning Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. Her core areas of study include photography, journalism and media studies. In addition to school and her work with Her Campus, Jessica works at her university library as an information associate.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!