How to Make it Look Like You’re Wearing Makeup When You’re Not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Ever since discovering makeup in the eighth grade I’ve been obsessed with it, so much so that I used to wake up at 5 a.m. every morning my sophomore year of high school to do a full face and smoky eye. If I didn’t go out of my house without foundation on, well, I didn’t go out of the house. I liked makeup because it made me feel confident. It allowed me to project how I saw myself on in the inside on the outside, and not to mention it covered up all of my acne. But, as the years progressed, I found putting on makeup to be a hassle, and have slowly but surely accepted my face when not wearing makeup. I just don’t have the time, or desire, to spend 30 minutes I could be sleeping putting on makeup. Sometimes, I think I look better without makeup than with it. So, if you’re trying to have a few extra minutes in the morning sleeping, or just want a way to bring out your natural beauty without makeup, here are some no-makeup hacks I have discovered since living a makeup-free life Sundays through Thursdays:

1. Fake foundation

If your face and neck tend to be a few shades lighter than the rest of your body and you don’t want to cake on foundation, Jergens for the face is your new best friend. Jergens for the face is a moisturizer that gradually darkens the appearance of your face and is a great fake foundation. The moisturizer comes in two shades: light to medium and medium to dark and can be found at most places that sell drug store makeup. 

2. Eyebrow & eyelash tinting

Unfortunately, not everyone was born with natural full brows. If your eyebrows or eyelashes are blonde or light brown, brow and lash tinting is your answer. Brow and lash tinting is extremely easy. You can get both procedures done at most local nail salons for around $30 each, or you can DIY at home for around $12. All you have to do is buy a tinting kit online and use a spooly brush to gently comb the tint through your lashes and brows for the specified time. Then, you just wash out the dye and BAM! Full brows and more noticeable eyelashes. 

3. Eyebrow waxing/threading

Getting your eyebrows waxed or threaded is a great alternative to filling in your brows with makeup. Both threading and waxing is quite inexpensive and can be done at most local nail salons. The process is quick and will leave you with your brows on fleek.

4. Eyelash extensions

Eyelash extensions are individual fake lashes that are attached to each one of your lashes with glue. The end result is a full set of fake lashes that look beautiful, and the best part is, you can customize the lashes to how you want them to look: natural, full, or somewhere in between! The lash stylists will ask you what type of look you’re going for and how long in length you want the lashes to be. The process takes around an hour and costs usually anywhere from $80 to $150 and can be done at most nail salons. The lashes usually last anywhere from three to six weeks, and can be refilled every two to three weeks for around $40 to $50. Eyelash extensions are a great way to look good 24/7. 

5. Ditch those under eye bags

Ever wakeup and see that your six-hour sleep schedule is showing under your eyes? Problem solved: a cold spoon. Keep and spoon in your fridge over-night and in the morning press the back of it under your eyes to reduce swelling and puffiness. This is a great way to make you look more awake and not have to use concealer to hide those designer under-eye bags. 

6. Clear skin

Clear skin can be achieved instead of being faked by loads of foundation. Drinking lots of water throughout the day and staying hydrated will make your skin look and feel amazing. One way to know if you’re dehydrated is if your lips are dry, you need more water! 

Pictures 1 2 3 4 5

Meagan is a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University obtaining a degree in bachelor of Science (B.S) with a concentration in Health Science. Meagan would describe herself as a free spirit whose goal in life is to be happy. She is interested in natural and organic beauty products and enjoys fashion and makeup. Although she does not label herself as vegan, she tries to eat mostly plant-based. Meagan's career goal is to be a health and wellness writer for a company. She will be graduation in the year 2020. Currently, Meagan is an active She enjoys all things natural beauty and sustainability. She was born and raised in Northern Virginia where she lived with her Mom, Dad, and older brother who attends Virginia Tech.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!