15 Legitimate Reasons Kanye West Would Be a Better President Than Donald Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

While America is getting excited about the upcoming 2016 election, pop culture is gearing up for the 2020 election — which Kanye West announced his presidential bid for at the VMA’s last Sunday. Before you dismiss this clearly qualified potential candidate as an overzealous fame-obsessed show pony, you may want to consider him against another big-name personality who recently announced his presidential bid; Donald Trump. Both household names, West and Trump are two distinct personalities who are known for not only their success but their candor. Since America is apparently taking Donald Trump’s presidential campaign seriously, why shouldn’t we give Kanye the same amount of consideration? Prepare to restore your faith in American democracy — here are 15 legitimate reasons why Kanye would make a better president than Donald Trump.

1. He has a larger following on social media.

Trump’s 3.9 million Twitter followers and 3.4 million Facebook followers may seem impressive, but it pales in comparison to Yeezus’ 9.5 million Facebook likes and 14.2 million Twitter followers – why do social media likes matter? Kanye’s admirable following proves that he understands the value of media attention and social interaction with his target audience – something pivotal for the future POTUS to understand.

2. He earned his fortune without being born into it.

West’s mother was an English professor and his father was a photojournalist — his modest upbringing plays little part in his fortune, unlike Trump who inherited over half a billion dollars at the time of his father’s death.

3. His political ambiguity is…refreshing.

So, “bro” is not quite a political party… yet… While West has admitted to supporting the Democratic ticket, his lack of extremism in terms of party affiliation is exactly what the White House needs. During his VMA speech he said he was for “new ideas, people with ideas, people who believe in truth” which leads us to believe he is for the progression of our country as a whole rather than a puppet of a certain party.

4. He lived in China — proving his worldliness.

At 10 years old little ‘Ye lived in Nanjing, China while his mom taught English at Nanjing University. His worldly exposure of living abroad as a child — much less in China, a major world leader, gives him the experience and understanding of different cultures and perspectives — more than we can say about Donald Trump who said, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

5. His multiple business ventures are larger in spectrum than Trump’s.

Fashion, poetry, art, music, film — and now politics. West’s success as an art industry mogul proves his diverse skillset whereas Trump’s real estate ventures are quite singular in nature. America needs a jack of all trades rather than a one-trick pony.

6. He is more philanthropic than Trump.

Trump ranks amongst the least charitable billionaires in the world, while Yeezy regularly donates to causes such as youth development, education, the arts and to organizations such as The Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Doctors Without Borders, Human Rights Watch, Stand Up To Cancer and more… see, he can actually be nice, sometimes.

7. He respects his mother, wife and daughter.

West is a devoted father and husband who has yet to ever publically say that he would date his daughter if she wasn’t his daughter or say the ideal woman is a  “young and beautiful piece of ass.” In fact, in an interview with Complex, West has said, “When I was a single bachelor rapper, and with the access that I had, I realized that I wasn’t respecting women the way I needed to. God has an amazing way of teaching people, and literally for two years I lived with all alpha females and a daughter, you know? So I had to learn to really do what my mother taught me, and become the man she always knew I could be.”  #womenforKanye2020.

8. He apologizes when he speaks out.

In addition to his legendary apology to Taylor at the VMA’s this past Sunday, the artist has publically apologized to many famous figures for his slander, including Bruno Mars and Beck. Trump’s faux pas unfortunately have yet to be rectified.

9. His consistency in his views makes him a more trustworthy candidate.

While Trump has flip flopped on issues and parties, Yeezy has kept it real with us since the College Dropout days. His faith in millenials, views on the impossibility of artistic achievement, skepticism of the media and desire for new ideas and innovation are all points he brought up at the VMA’s, but also throughout his career. His authenticity is doubtlessly unmatched, certainly not by Donald Trump.

10. He believes in affordable education — and gave over $150,000 in scholarships.

In 2006, the Kanye West Foundation sponsored the “Free U. Giveaway” which gave over $150,000 to students to pay for their undergraduate tuition. Trump has yet to announce his plan for student debt.

11. Kanye wants to end the War on Drugs.

Trump, who has flip-flopped on the issue of marijuana legalization is now stating that he opposes it, while West has frequently called for an end to the War on Drugs and while in office, would likely take the steps to legalize marijuana, consequently reducing incarceration rates and help the economy.

12. He has completed a higher level of education than Trump.

He’s gone a long way from being a “College Dropout.” Call him Dr. West, because he has a Ph.D from School at the Art Institute of Chicago — a higher level of education than Trump’s bachelor’s degree from University of Pennsylvania.

13. He supports the LGBT community.

Trump states that he is opposed to same-sex marriage, West however; has publicly supported same sex marriage by being one of the first in the hip-hop community to advocate for the end of anti-gay slurs in rap music.

West was also one of the first supporters of Caitlyn Jenner — when speaking about her transition, West has said,

“I think it’s one of the strongest things that’s happened in our… existence as human beings that are so controlled by perception. ‘Cause you couldn’t have been up against more. Your daughter is a supermodel, you’re a celebrity… every type of thing, and it was still like, ‘F*ck everybody, this is who I am.”

Trump on the other hand, refers to Caitlyn as “Bruce.”

14. He cares about undocumented immigrants.

West has far more progressive immigration views than Trump, who believes in “building a wall.” In 2010 West boycotted performing in Arizona as a form of protesting the state’s anti-immigration laws.

He said,

“When Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat, they arrested her. As a result, people got together and said, ‘We are not going to ride the bus until they change the law.’ It was this courageous action that sparked the Montgomery bus boycott.

What if we got together, signed a collective letter saying, ‘We’re not going to ride the bus’, saying ‘We are not going to comply. We are not going to play in Arizona. We are going to boycott Arizona?!’

15. He is actually politically active and aware of the changes this country needs.

The tweets below show that as satirical as this article may be, Kanye himself is actually a politically aware citizen who, while often outlandish, is actually more educated and informed than many of the voters out there – particularly Trump’s supporters. #Kanye2020

Hannah is a Public Relations graduate from Virginia Commonwealth University with an affinity for blogging, food, culture and learning about the world. She has a serious case of wanderlust and hopes to one day work for a lifestyle and PR firm, as well as publish books and documentaries focusing on leisure and travel. To read more of her work, check out her own personal blog at www.thinkingbrave.com or her personal portfolio at clippings.me/hannahkhan
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!