This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

While all your friends are signing their new leases for their new apartments you and I checked into the front desk to receive our color cards. Yeah, it’s hard when all of your friends who were once down the hall, are now miles away in their cute little apartments. As an upperclassmen, staying on campus can seem like such a drag but living on campus doesn’t have to be all bad. It does have some sweet perks!

1. Free Food

Once your tuition is paid, you no longer have to worry about food. Your daily meals are a part of a package deal when you live on campus. The dining halls are open pretty much all day and there are several other fast food places to use your Dining Dollars. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on groceries or take-out!

2. No Bills

Your dorm is already equipped with unlimited Wi-Fi, cable, central air and other household amenities. You won’t have to look out for the cable bill in the mail or any other bills at that. In addition you don’t have to watch your usage! There are nooverages or extra fees attached.

3. No commuter struggles

As a commuter you have to worry about getting to campus on time to get a “good” parking spot or wait on the shuttle to take you to main campus. Which also includes waking up earlier in the morning for class and fighting for parking spots every morning.

4. Closer to your classes and other campus activities

When you live on campus your classes are only a few steps away. Also the library and other services that your university offers are always in reach. If your classes are spread out you can go to your room instead of bumming on campus until 3:30. Campus activities and events are also just right outside your front door. Which allows you to be more involved and in tune with your university.

So maybe…living on campus isn’t the worst thing that can happen to you. So no need to be envious of your commuter friends. HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.