Homecoming Court 2014: Quineshia Claiborne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

HC: What are your aspirations in life?

QC: I love people! Always have, so I’ve never wanted to sit behind a desk all day. I want to be around others, speaking, traveling and making the most of my life. I’ve come to realize my passion is working in Student Affairs on a college campus. I looked over my résumé and noticed I’ve had all this experience with children and college students, and little actually in my major.

One day I hope to become someone’s Brenda Beasley (Coordinator of Orientation and Leadership Programs) or Ryan Hogan (Associate Director in the Office of Admissions) at a university. The goal is to be the person [who] excites others to come to my school all because of my love for it. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

QC: Well I’ve always been very active on campus, since the day I arrived. But I’m currently a Student Government Association Senator. There I serve as the co-chair of the Student Affairs Committee; so I have the pleasure of planning things on campus, such as the commencement survey and the Kel Mitchell event. I also serve as the Vice President of the Sigma Iota chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity Inc. So I’m continuously planning services, not just for our chapter, but for our campus and community as well.

Those are two that I dedicate most of my time to; however, I’m always doing a little of something. This year was my second year as a VSU Orientation Leader, which I’m convinced is one of the best jobs in the world. And, in my free time I volunteer with the Admissions Office giving tours, and also with Blazer Pride working with Freshman Football recruits.

HC: What are you currently doing to influence students on campus?

QC: I try to be there, and accessible as much as possible. Even after I was no longer an RA, I kept a lot of those qualities; it just sticks with you. I would like to say that anyone who ever has a question or problem, [they] can ask me about it.

I work to inspire those around me, by my example of service and engagement. Yes, many students can relate to me since we are all technically in the same boat, so that’s a given. But the struggles I’ve had in a class—or the times I’ve spread myself TOO thin—I have no problem sharing those failures and successes with those around me if it will help their college experience. I believe that’s the most important part: being transparent.

HC: Why should you be chosen for Homecoming Queen?

QC: I should be chosen because I am the definition of a Blazer. I came in and made the most of my experience, and I share my passion for VSU every day! I live and breathe this university, and anyone who knows me can attest to it. I believe that everything I have done on this campus since the day I moved here, if not before (I had the Admissions Office number on speed dial), shows my dedication to this university and my love for VSU.

HC: If you were to be crowned Homecoming Queen, how would you use your title to impact our campus?

QC: The same way I have now: one day, one person, and one smile at a time. The only difference will be the title. And God willing, I don’t plan on going anywhere. I’m looking to pursue my Masters Degree here at Valdosta State. So even after I graduate, with this title, I hope to continue being a role model for students. I want to set the new standard of how much every Blazer should love VSU.

HC: What sets you apart from other candidates?

QC: I’m truly passionate about the welfare of the students and their genuine experience. That’s what matters most to me. It’s the main reason why I want to work in Student Affairs. Most people join other organizations and they only cater to their surrounding population, but I venture out into the realms of this campus. VSU is my family. I tell people all the time, I know this university almost like the back of my hand, and I take pride in that. ​

Voting starts Tuesday, October 21.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.
President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)