5 Tips to Surviving Thanksgiving Break Away From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Aside from canceled classes, free food and deadline extensions, one of the best feelings a college student can have is knowing a long awaited break is right around the corner, especially when it’s Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, we’re not always able to make it home for the holidays.

At a time when you’d rather be with your family and making up for all the Sunday dinners you’ve missed over the semester, you’re stuck at college with nothing to do. So here are a couple of survival tips to help you make it through the holiday when you can’t go home!

1. Have a Potluck

You’re definitely not the only one who can’t go home for the holidays. Ask around and find out who else will be in town and plan your own Thanksgiving. Everyone brings a dish and if cooking isn’t an option, pretty much every grocery store has some type of ready-made platter. 

2. Do-It-Yourself Projects

You’ve been wanting to re-create your D.I.Y. board on Pinterest for the longest and now you have nothing but time. Thanksgiving is almost here and Christmas isn’t too long after. Make something to liven up your apartment or dorm room to get you in the spirit. 

3. Workout

With all the holiday eating and free time, it’s so easy to get lazy during the colder months, but it’s actually the best time to get in shape. Plus it’s a great way to stay warm. Get a head start on your New Years Resolution and head to the gym!

4. Volunteer

‘Tis the season to give back! Pay it forward this holiday season by helping out at a homeless shelter or a church. You’ll feel good knowing you’re helping those who can’t help themselves.

5. Catch Up On Sleep

Whether you go home or not this one is definitely on the to-do list. Hopefully everyone has been attending class, doing homework, and studying until the late hours of the night, so to treat yourself you should sleep… as long as you possibly can.   

Happy Holidays!

HCxo!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.