4 Things I Learned To Be Thankful for This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.
As a senior, I am constantly thinking about what lies ahead of me after graduation in May.  But this Thanksgiving break, I was able to take time to think about life other then GRE practice tests, research projects and final exams.  I got to thinking about where I am in my life right now and how I got to this point. I reflected on the many reasons why I am thankful for where I am today. I wondered “What is it that makes me so sad to leave this city in a couple months?”  It became very clear to me traveling home last Tuesday night why I am so humbled to be where I am today. The trip home also made me appreciate just why UW-La Crosse makes has been such a beautiful chapter of my life. 

1. Family. I know it is cliché to say that I am thankful for my family, but when I think about it, they are the people that have gotten me to where I am today.  Without my parent’s guidance and life lessons, wearing the maroon cap and gown in May would only be a dream of mine.  I think about all the times they didn’t let me stay out late in high school, or made me go see a teacher for extra help and how much I despised it.  But now, all that seems so generous. I am so thankful that they pushed me to be the best person I could be and led me down a path for success.  

2. Friends. Almost all of my close friends had sent me “I’m thankful to have you in my life,” text on Thursday.  Nothing is more important than your good female social circle in college.  They are the ones who hold your hair on Saturday nights, joke around with you in the library, and always have your back.  More importantly, those are the girls that you will remember 30 years from now.  They are the ones that have been right by your side from the freshmen dorms to shaking Joe Gow’s hand at graduation.  These are the girls you have to thank for making your college experience the best you ever thought it could be and more.

3. Coffee. Need I say more? But seriously, on campus we have three different types of coffee vendors and I think this is a college girls dream.  Not only do I need four cups to function everyday, but also the fact that I can leave class and turn down the hall to a Starbucks is my type of heaven. 

4. Pizza.  My long-term relationship with this food has created so many memories for me the past four years at UW-La Crosse. I can’t remember a time freshmen year I didn’t go back to the dorms on a weekend night without the classic triple order of Topperstix.  This food has shared so many late night memories with friends circling around a white and red box, mouths full, telling that nights story gather in my living room at 3:00 in the morning.