My Life Is GrUV: Summer 2011 Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Whether you’ll be interning this summer at a crowded office or working at the local doggie daycare, here is a list of some of the craziest and best things (for your mind, body, and soul) that your fellow UVM students do during the summer that you need to try before you come back to school in the fall.

1. Go skydiving. Yeah, it’s a little extreme, but if you’re going to go for it, go all out.
  2. Drive across the country. All the way across.
  3. Ride a motorcycle.
  4. Buy a dress that makes you feel great. You can find a link to Her Campus’s top 50 spring dresses for under $50 here.
  5. Take a walk everyday, alone.
  6. Find a secluded swimming spot.
  7. Collect sand from five beaches that you’ve never been to before.
  8. Go skinny-dipping.
  9. Get a tattoo.
  10. Get a hair wrap…or a dread? (Add some beads for a little decoration!)
  11. Meet a guy and have a nice summer fling.
  12. Set a weight loss goal, and stick to it.
  13. Spend some time with your parents doing something that they enjoy doing – you’ll get on their good side.
  14. Go to a weekend-long bartending school. (Not only can you make some extra money, but think about all the classy pre-gaming you can do next fall!)
  15. Don’t be afraid to kick your feet in the air and do a keg stand.
  16. Add a crazy color to your hair. You could add a splash of blue or pink to the underside.
  17. Go to a three-day music festival like Camp Bisco in upstate NY or Bonnaroo down in Tennessee.
  18. Have sex in public. (Use a condom.)
  19. Take a road trip with a good friend. (Perhaps to visit a friend from school?)
  20. Participate in some sort of volunteer work such as Habitat for Humanity or helping with the relief efforts in Japan.
  21. Go jump off some cliffs. There are some small outcroppings in New Hampshire and Vermont, or you could travel down to Haiti to get the real cliff jumping experience.
  22. Camp out on the beach for a couple days with a couple friends and a lot of beer.
  23. Go to Disney World. (It’s not just for little kids!)
  24. Get something pierced…
  25. Make a music video and upload it to YouTube.
  26. Run a mile everyday.
  27. Get kicked out of Walmart. (There’s a list of 666 ways to do so somewhere on the internet.)
  28. Learn how to do a backflip.
  29. Stay on a trampoline for 24 hours.
  30. Volunteer at a local animal shelter.
  31. Volunteer at a local homeless shelter.
  32. Look up some world records and try to outdo them.
  33. Go streaking.
  34. Bungee jumping, anyone?
  35. Write a message, put it in a bottle, and send it off to sea.
  36. Hot air balloon over a desert.
  37. Climb an active volcano.
  38. Go white water rafting. (The Snake River in Colorado is nice, or the Grand Canyon.)
  39. Visit a flea market and buy things you know you don’t need.
  40. Use a disposable camera for a week.
  41. Grab ten bucks, hop on some sort of local transportation and go somewhere you’ve never been.
  42. Run a half-marathon.
  43. Spend a night in Walmart.
  44. Take a summer class at the local community college that interests you or that class you failed last semester.
  45. Start a garden and actually take care of it.
  46. Study abroad – UVM has some great programs that are for four to six weeks during the summer.
  47. Try to get a job at an aquarium where you get to climb into the tanks and feed the fish. (Who doesn’t love a nice swim with some sharks?)
  48. Catch up with some childhood friends.
  49. Go visit your extended family because, let’s be honest, when was the last time you saw crazy Aunt Judy? Maybe she isn’t so crazy anymore…
  50. Make sure you hug someone every single day.