Ashley Richardson ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Name: Ashley Richardson
Year: ’14
Originally From: Springfield, VT
Major: Secondary Education (English)

College Life

What are your favorite courses you’ve taken at UVM?
I’ve loved all of my education classes that I’ve taken so far, but my favorite class would have to be the Harlem Renaissance class I’m in right now with Emily Bernard. She’s an amazing teacher and everyone should take a class with her!

If you could chose another major, what would you chose?
I’ve always wanted to be a detective or a lawyer, something to do with crime, but I feel like that line of work could easily get depressing.

Best study spot on campus?
Waterman Café!

If you could recommend any professor to take, who would you chose and why?
For English I’d definitely recommend Emily Bernard – she’s hilarious and knows her stuff. All of my professors for education though have been amazing – Lia Cravedi, Holly Busier, Jen Prue, Signe Jensen.

Weirdest thing you’ve encountered at UVM?
Although I’ve been here almost three full years I’m still shocked when I see people running around barefoot. It’s freaky and I’m always worried about glass on the sidewalk.

Favorite thing to do on the weekends?
I love to hang out with my friends and go downtown, but I’m also the type to stay in and relax with Netflix. I’m also a huge fan of board games so if anyone offered up that option I’d be there in a heartbeat.

Fun Facts

Favorite movie?
I don’t have just one favorite movie but I love Coach Carter, The Blindside, The Departed, The Town and, of course, Pitch Perfect.

Favorite TV show?
Friday Night Lights, Prison Break, and Law and Order: SVU. Obviously I love my chick flicks too – Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives, Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, etc.

Cats, dogs, or fish?
This is a tough one – I love snuggling with cats but dogs are so much fun to play with.

Are you also a flannel fanatic like most at UVM?
Not at all – I own one flannel and I love it, but I’m not obsessed with them.

Biggest pet peeve?
I really hate it when people tap their pen constantly on the desk, and when cars forget to turn off their directional light.

Favorite season?
Fall! If there were a place where it was fall year round I would definitely move there.

If you could shake hands with one inspirational person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Beyonce… because I want to be her.

Top 3 most played songs on your iPod?
Whiskey by Jana Kramer, F**kin Problems, and then basically all of Beyonce’s songs on repeat.

What is one strange thing about yourself that most people would never guess?
I have to move my lips constantly when I’m reading…it gets a little embarrassing when I’m caught in public.

If you were a Ben & Jerry’s flavor, what would you be and why?
New York Super Fudge Chunk – it’s easily the best flavor!

You’re stranded on a desert island and can only bring 3 items. What do you bring?
A good book, sunscreen, and a hair tie. I’m assuming since it’s an island it’d be hot and there’s nothing worse than sweaty hair.

Love Life

Opinion of a good first date:
A good first date for me would be something that is also an ice breaker and fun. Mini golfing would be perfect – you can still talk and get to know each other but if it’s awkward you can just focus on kicking their ass in golf and getting out of there.

Biggest turn-on?
Humor and smiling a lot. Smelling good has never hurt either.

Biggest turn-off?
Definitely someone that loves to hear their own voice so they never stop talking.

Sweetest thing a guys ever done for you:
He wrote me a poem and mailed it to me on Valentines Day – it was both sweet and funny.

Biggest celeb crush:
I think if I could combine Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, and Channing Tatum together and then throw in Denzel’s swag it would be the ideal celeb crush.

Tips for the single kids on campus:
Go out & enjoy yourself! College is only four years out of your life so you’ve gotta live it up now before you enter the real world.