10 Crazy Fun Things to do in Burlington during the Winter Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Burlington in the winter is beautiful, yet extremely cold. For many people, the temperature is enough to keep them inside during the winter months and not exercise or get out with friends. Here are 10 fun, and relaxing, things to do in Burlington when the temperature drops.

1. Snowboarding / Skiing. An overwhelming number of UVM students spend their weekends skiing and snowboarding at different resorts around Burlington. “Snowboarding is definitely the best thing to do during the winter months in Burlington,” Sam Watson ’14 said. “The UVM Ski & Snowboard Club is the biggest club at the school, and people come from all over the country to snowboard here.”

2. Penguin Plunge. Every year, people from all over the state and country come to Lake Champlain to jump in the freezing cold water to help raise money and awareness for Special Olympics Vermont. “The Penguin Plunge is hands down the craziest winter activity in Burlington,” John Brooks ’14 said. “Not only will you take a dip in frigid below freezing water in just your bathing suit, but you also help raise funds for the Special Olympics.”

3. Giant Snowball Fights on Campus. “The craziest thing to do on campus during the winter is to participate in the giant snowball fights on campus!” Paulina Mei, ’14 said. Although these giant snowball fights are banned from the campus of UVM, they still happen each year in a very secret manner.

4. Building Igloos. “Probably the best winter activity at UVM is building igloos on campus,” Dan Kendall ’13 said. “We build them over the little hill near the Davis Center tunnel entrance, and behind the MAT part of Living & Learning.” Check out these igloos this coming winter, and if it’s not too cold, lend a helping hand!

5. Naked Bike Ride. “In the winter, for students to celebrate a semester of solid work, partaking in the naked bike ride is key,” Alexis Locke ’15 said. Although last year the night of the naked bike ride was also the night of a snowstorm, many brave UVM students shed their clothes to celebrate fall classes being over.

6. Church Street. For those of you that don’t enjoy skiing or snowboarding, or playing in the snow at all, Church Street has all the shopping and food you’ll need for a day out on the town. “A perfect winter day consists of walking around Church Street and getting a delicious hot chocolate from Lake Champlain chocolates!” Malayika Cincotta ’14 said. So when the snow starts falling, and the white Christmas lights are put up on Church Street, bundle up and go shop the day away.

7. Dobra Tea Shop. Located on Church Street, this teashop offers an enormous variety of teas and is a perfect place to relax and watch the snow fall. “Besides going to ski resorts, I’d say that the Dobra Tea Shop is the best place to be on a cold winter day,” Tenzin Lhakhang ’14 said. Check it out next time you’re down on Church Street!

8. Outdoor Activities. Winter in Burlington is a dreamland for those of us that enjoy the cold weather and the beautiful snow. “Get outside and go sledding, snowboarding, or have a snow ball fight with a group of friends,” Kirk Benson ’13 said. There’s nothing better than being outside in the snow all day with those people closest to us.

9. UVM Hockey. “The best thing to do in the winter in Burlington is go to a Catamount Hockey game, obviously,” Anthony DeCenzo ’14 said. The crowds get wild, the competition gets tough, and, best of all, you won’t freeze while doing it. Their season has already started and goes until at least March ’12.

10. Ice Skating. Whether you’re going with a group of friends, or on a date, ice-skating in Burlington during the winter is a great activity to do for people of all ages. “Ice skating is such a great way to get outside and exercise in the winter,” Sara Groshens ’14 said. “Take advantage of the few nice days we have in Burlington when the sun comes up and it’s not as cold, and get out there!”