Spice Up Valentine’s Day in Charlottesville: Best Date Night Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Charlottesville is full of restaurants, an alarming amount – yet we all have our spots. They tend to be the same whether we are hungover or our parents are in town. The food is so good and so convenient that we don’t feel the need to branch out. But then there is Valentine’s Day—a day that pushes beyond the college bubble. First of all, people go on dates. Second, it is a more formal rendezvous instead of “I’ll see you at the pregame.” How do you transform these places where you have had a variety of memories: late, blurry, or daily- into someplace special enough for Valentine’s Day? Here’s the rundown of my favorite places for dates of every kind.

Ambiance: Michael’s Bistro & Tap House

Price: $$$

I just recently discovered this little nook above Little John’s and fell in love. It is a little pricier than the rest of the corner, but completely worth it. It’s dimly lit, intimate, and definitely has the wow factor associated with a Valentine’s Day date.  Michael’s Bistro is also a little dressier than normal, giving you a chance to wear that new dress and feel extra special. Looking for a romantic night, Michael’s Bistro is your place.

Downtown: Whiskey Jar

Price: $$

Exposed brick, live music, and comfort food- the Whiskey Jar is one of downtown’s hidden gems. It’s loud, casual, and Southern—perfect for a trendy date that shows your date that you venture beyond our typical corner. Show him you’re a Whiskey type of girl at 227 West Main.

Burger and a Game: Boylan Heights

Price: $

Sporty date? My best recommendation would be Boylan Heights. Grab a burger, catch the game, and impress him with your sports knowledge. It is the perfect place for a Valentines Date, especially if you’re just getting to know someone. The atmosphere is less than intimate and you wont feel the need to fill the conversation thanks to all the TVs and noises.

Bakery: Paradox Pastry

Price: $

I am actually hesitant to let you in on my secret spot in Charlottesville, but these women are too talented to go unnoted. This new bakery opened last June on Second St, right off the downtown mall. Paradox pastry has created a warm, swanky atmosphere that serves lose leaf tea and comfort in the form of carbohydrates. As you get to know each other over pastries and coffee on the intimate upper deck, smells of butter, cookies, and Cordon Bleu talent waft up to your senses. Paradox is a   pastry dream and an inexpensive, artsy way to get off grounds and get to know your date.

Delivery: Campus Cookies

Price: $

Staying in? Campus cookies delivers freshly baked cookies within the hour! Unfortunately busy this Valentine’s day? Make it up to your significant other with a box of hot treats. Better yet, have a secret crush? Send them an anonymous batch of chocolate chip cookies that distracts them from the creepy fact you know where they live. Campus Cookies is a wonderful installment to the UVA food delivery circuit and perfect for any occasion.

Frozen Yogurt: Sweet Frog

Price: $

Sweet Frog may be a drive to Barracks but it is a trip well worth making.  If your date half understands women, he’ll know that when in doubt, everyone gets excited about Sweet Frog. For those of you who have never made the trip (how is that possible?) it is a self-serve, frozen yogurt bar with unlimited options and unlimited toppings. Whether its an outing with your single friends, an end cap to your night, or a low-key occasion, Sweet Frog is a go-to move for V-Day.

Photo credit:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/34/ac/ac/the-whiskey-jar.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/2289207/thumb_600.jpg?1345899037